You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aff Photo Cropping Difficulties

For the work I do, I can get around Photoshop very well. When I come to Affinity Photo, I have some very annoying difficulties but many times I'm able to work through these, learn a little, and find things about Affinity that I like very much. I haven't gotten there yet with cropping and I really feel I shouldn't be experiencing the persistent difficulties with such a simple process: CROPPING.

Oftentimes I need to crop many images to the same dimensions for website placement and doing so in Affinity Photo seems to require a lot of repeated steps that with Photoshop would be much, much faster. Here's an example.

I have a set dimension needed to crop a dozen or more image but in AP, I have to re-apply the dimensions every time. Photoshop remembers the last crop dimensions to re-apply automatically. In AP, I can create a preset which isn't what I want to do because I don't anticipate needing these same dimensions again for other jobs. So I could delete the preset but that's just unneeded work. If I use a preset and want to resize in relation to the photo but keep the same pixel dimensions, I CAN'T! If I want to reposition the crop area, using the shift key doesn't keep the motion vertical/horizontal/45º as most apps do, nor does it snap to the edges of the pixel area so it becomes very easy to have a pixel or two of white space in the result and then I'm right back to square one. This scenario happens for me again and again and again. I find this very frustrating.

• Staff

Hi stinkykong,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. The Crop Tool is already being rewritten and will include both crop and resampling in one operation besides other modes/improvements. There's still no eta but it will come with a future update. Bear with use while we work on it.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question (figured I'd post here in this thread rather than start a new post)... What I need regarding Cropping is the ability to crop, both vertically and horizontally, by a single dimension. For example, I often create 600- or 635-pixel-wide images from photos, but have no need to specify a vertical dimension -- I just need the images to be a set width dimension (or a set heigh dimension, depending). Photoshop would let you crop by one "edge" as well as save these as crop presets. I'm new to Affinity Photo, but is this something that's available already and I'm just not seeing it, or is this something that's coming in a future update?

Thanks!

-William

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a different, but equally frustrating problem. When I select the cropping tool I don't see any of the things promised in the video (see screen shot attached). There is no grid that comes over my photo. There is no menu that emerges above for me to select from. Can someone please help me?

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 6.11.15 PM.jpg

On 9/2/2017 at 8:25 PM, MEB said:

The Crop Tool is already being rewritten and will include both crop and resampling in one operation besides other modes/improvements.

This is good news.

Just yesterday I thought I'd give AP another try within my usual image editing workflow, but got completely stuck at something as trivial as cropping.

Seriously: The current cropping concept is one of most counterintuitive workflows I've ever encountered in any professional Mac software.

(Disclosure: Frankly, as a Mac user since 30 years I have absolutely no idea how counterintuitive Windows software can be…)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2