You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Single layer manipulation

I essentially want to enlarge only one object in a photo.

In AP for the Mac I would select the object, copy and paste into a new layer. From there I could fully manipulate that one object (layer).

In AP iPad, I had the selected object into its own layer but I don’t know how I did it. But when it was in its own layer I was unable to manipulate it. 

Please help. Thank you

• Staff

Hi Lunar,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You didn't specify what type of manipulation you were performing neither the type of object you are working with. Are you working with Pixel layer or an Image layer? You can check the type of layer looking at the small text right above the layer's name in the Layers Studio (iPad). What are you trying to do with that layer? Can you be more specific please so we can advise you better?

By "selected object" do you mean you have cut out an object from a layer and have placed it in a new layer and don't know how you have done it?

When I open this photo it becomes a pixel layer. I want to select one flower. Give the selected flower it’s own layer so I can make it larger, rotate it or flip horizontally. I hope this clears things up. Thank you for your time. 

I have figured it out. Let me know if there is an easier way.

Place photo into a new document. Rastersize the photo. Make my selections. Copy. Deselect. Paste. And it pasted into a new layer that I was able to resize with the original image still intact. 

• Staff

When you place a photo in a document, it will be inserted as an Image layer. You can create a pixel selection here but if you try to copy/paste it to a new layer it will paste the whole layer again rather than just the selection. To be able to copy/paste just the selected area you must Rasterise the layer fist as you already have discovered. Image layers are considered objects layers: you can transform them as a whole (scale, rotate etc, and apply non-destructive filters/adjustments) but you can't change/manipulate them directly at a pixel level because they retain all original image data. So to be able to manipulate them directly you have to convert them first.