You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke is not very consistent when zoomed

I have a rectangle with a stroke aligned to the inside of a rectangle.  I wanted another rectangle that went from the edge of the stroke to the edge of the stroke.  Seeing as snapping doesn't detect the inside of the stroke I zoomed in.  But as I changed the zoom the width of the stroke kept changing as seen below.  Of course there are ways to get around this problem.  But it does show that there is a problem.

Test2.jpg.d1ecfd74e9b7edf7c10bd76ea99afdeb.jpg

Using beta 8 on a mac running Sierra.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there :)

1.6 Beta 9, macOS Sierra, 2012 15" MBP

Not sure if this issue is related or deserves it's own thread.

Brush strokes are inconsistent at different zoom sizes. I can't predict what the export will look like.

I mentioned this issue on the forum a couple of years back. I'm sad to see there's no progress :/

59b9a5f9c5721_ScreenShot2017-09-13at11_33_07PM.thumb.png.e3446064d9c5219af85821eac75ffe7f.pngis 

• Staff

Hey michaelmee,

This might be the same or similar issue so I'll leave it in here. It's all zoom related. I'm sorry nobody ever replied to your post from a couple years ago from Affinity. I'll get this looked at. The export at different zoom levels always looks the same but like you said, you're not sure which one you're going to get. 

The issue seems to be when there are a bunch of nodes at the end of a stroke or where you change direction and the stroke goes over itself. Deleting some of those nodes fixes this but I wouldn't expect you should have to do that. Leave it with me.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
14 hours ago, thi.mic said:

Hello,

I have the same issue and I´m using the latest Version: 1.6.0.89. I have a Windows 10 pc.

Can sombody tell me how to fix it? 

I noticed nothing had changed since 1.6 was released so I bumped the bug report but I'll do it again to remind dev users are still struggling with this. As I said above, the only known workaround at the moment is to remove some of the end nodes that crossover but this is obviously time consuming. Sorry :/

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it, 'removing some of the end nodes' is not a viable workaround.

How will the user know if enough nodes have been removed? The preview looks different at different zoom levels and may render/export differently than the preview. So the only way to really know is to remove a few nodes, then export, then remove a couple of nodes and export again ... All the while trying to maintain the integrity of the artwork. ...Then who knows what may happen when exporting at a different size, for example?

This is profoundly unreliable and should have been dealt with long ago... It makes me perceive the software as generally unreliable – one of a few reasons I'm finding it difficult to make the move from Illustrator.

• Staff

Hey michaelmee,

I said this is a workaround and that does not suggest it is a solution. I also acknowledged that this would also be time consuming and to some degree, ineffective, but until development decide to fix this, all I can offer is the workaround but I appreciate it isn't ideal. 

I will bump the bug report for you and remind dev this is still a serious issue that needs some attention. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.