Simon R

[Cannot Reproduce] Editing with Affinity Photo from Capture One Pro 10

Hi,

I have processed a NEF file in Capture One Pro10 and using the 'edit with' option, uncompressed TIFF 16bit, ICC Profile of ProPhoto, @ 300 px/in and then send the file to Affinity Photo. The colour profile in Affinity Photo is set to ProPhoto.When the file opens in Affinity Photo, it has, what I can best describe as a 'lilac' haze, thus looking completely different to the file that sits in Capture One Pro10.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, what am I doing wrong.

Regards

Simon R

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Hi Simon R

Do you have a similar effect if the image is opened directly in Affinity Photo rather than going through capture one, either the original NEF file or the processed TIF that has been exported?  Ive tried this with a NEF from a Nikon D750 and it seems to import fine. 

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

I process the file in Capture One, then 'edit with' as described above. If I used the 'open with' Affinity from Capture One, the file goes directly to the 'develop persona' as would be the 'norm' with a NEF File, and has no adjustments. The purpose of my workflow is to enable me to process the NEF File as I would like in Capture One and then finish with Affinity photo then export as usual.

I am assuming that you are familiar with Capture One, the ' edit with' exports the NEF file as a variant, in this case I use the settings uncompressed TIFF 16bit, ICC Profile of ProPhoto, @ 300 px/in. The variant then appears in the browser back in Capture One, which should mirror image the file that's open in Affinity Photo, currently it is not.....

I attach a Screenshot of the Files in question from Capture One, the file on the right is the original NEF File and the file on the left is the TIFF file from Affinity Photo....59ae89e0216c9_ScreenShot2017-09-05at12_23_34.thumb.png.a330bd09c2c66b7ae4e4a93941b47036.png

The File Below is the file from Affinity Photo, using the 'Edit with' from Capture One.

59ae8b117c617_ScreenShot2017-09-05at12_27_29.thumb.png.8118b780ee325559d9d6dbc6da6c6e0a.png

I hope that the Screenshots are legible and you can see the differences between both.

Look forward to hearing from the soon.

Simon R

Hi SimonR

What version of AP are you using? there have been a few topics where that discolouration appears. Not sure if the latest .81 has the issue I believe it was reported in .80 though.

Regards

Hi Simon R

I'm not super familiar with the app but I did understand your workflow. I wanted to see if this was only occurring specifically with the pass through from capture one or if it was something general with the file in our app. Thanks for the screenshot. I'm guessing the file is originally in sRGB? This simply looks like the slight shift you get by converting to the wider ProPhoto colour profile., so you screenshot is comparing the image in sRGb and ProPhoto. Are you able to export the image in capture one to a ProPhoto colour tif so we can compare the image that has been sent to Affinity and one that has not had any interaction with Affinity but has the same starting properties. This will help rule out simple colour conversion causing your issue

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, forgive me if I am being a little 'naive' here, the file is an original NEF file, how would I determine if the file is sRGB? I have set the proofing in CO1 to ProPhoto, so when I use the 'edit with' that is using the ProPhoto colour space as described in my original post, the colour space in AP is ProPhoto, so how could it be returning the file to CO1 in sRGB? The colour shift is what looks like a magenta, would this be anything to do with the CMYK profile? As a matter of interest, what is the 'default' CMYK profile recommended by AP, my default setting is attached for info.

Thanks

Simon R

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 14.18.11.png

Hi Simon R

I think you might be getting a little confused with colour profiles there.

I've been looking at this further and this actually seems to be more an issue with the export from capture on itself rather than anything our app is doing. I've sent the image to a few different apps to edit from capture one and they all display this same shift. It is most likely due to how they apply the icc profile you selected for export. This shift is more indicative of the profile being assigned rather than converted.  May be worth contacting Phase One about the issue instead, but as we only open what they give us there is not a lot we can do about it

Cheers

Hello Simon R,

Hello Chris_K,

to probably add a little more confusion, I tried to replicate this issue here.

I followed all the steps, Simon R is describing and set both applications to the same (his) preferences.

Used a Nikon NEF shot in AdobeRGB colour space.

As a result, I can not replicate this issue: Affinity Photo does come up with the same colors as seen in Capture One 10.

This is on OSX 10.11.6, COP 10.1.2.26 (5ee1101), AP 1.5.2, hardware calibrated monitor (Eizo).

The RGB Colour Profile set in AP Preferences does not seem to influence the appearance of the image, as the file is tagged in COP with ProPhoto.icc.

This profile is then read by AP.

(AP automatically assigns the RGB-profile from the AP-Prefs to untagged files, what can be an issue, but not in this situation here, with an embedded profile).

Also, when COP is set to the default state for Proof („chosen processing preset” [sorry, German COP here], everything works as it should.

Sending a file with different profiles (AdobeRGB, sRGB) also results in the same colours and pipette readings.

Btw, sending to Photoshop also works as it should.

One thing to note: the tif (variant) in COP read slightliy lighter then the NEF, but comparing the NEF in COP with AP or PS, both show effectively equal values.

@ Simon R

It might be worth checking the monitor profile set in OSX Prefs and the build nr. of Capture One Pro (probably missed an update?).

Sorry for this being no solution to the problem, but at least it might indicate, that the cause of your issue might come from somewhere in your setup.

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for this insight. When you mean 'default state' which profile are you using? I have now set mine to Generic RGB Profile.

I have also attached another Original NEF and the TIFF variant, the Landscape Photos are workable, with no final adjustments.

My Current Setup is as follows:

OS X 10.12.6

COP 10.1.2.26 (5ee1101)

AP 1.5.2

These were done pre- Generic RGB Profile Change.

59b03df48988a_ScreenShot2017-09-06at17_26_29.thumb.png.21d26f7e815cc5cf0ac6e5c28aa73475.png

I am not sure if the Astrophotos are pushing the limits of Capture One....

59b03e05d9151_StarNEF.png.af5805475bb23f96d3a92bc3502953b9.png

I also raised a support request with Phase One info below...their final answer is in bold.

logo.ashx?h=75&la=en&w=120&hash=C7DE7F66

Case 261369

Case Status
Waiting for client
Created
06-09-2017

Type
Technical Support
Software
Capture One 10.x PRO

Camera body
Nikon
Serial number

Digital camera back
*N/A
Operating system
Mac OS 10.12.x Sierra

Camera model
D5000 / D5100 / D5200
Reference number

Lens / accessory

Attached Files

Correspondence
06-09-2017 18:40
Supporter

Hi Simon,

Thanks. This is likely due to how color noise is rendered in Fit To View mode. Color should always be judged at 100% zoom, just for certainty's sake.

Best regards, 

Phase One Technical Support

06-09-2017 18:30
Me

Hi,

This is what I was expecting, there is no colour shift at 100%, I use the 'zoom to fit' to view the whole image, so when I see the returned variant in the browser with the Magenta Colour Shift, it does throw me out so to speak. I am not sure if this is relevant, but the files that I had previously attached are the extreme for Astrophotography. I attach another original and variant at 'zoom to fit' view with the same settings, as you can see there is no Magenta Colour Shift...
06-09-2017 18:15
Supporter

Hi Simon,

If you view the two images at 100% zoom in Capture One, does the color shift appear?

Best regards, 

06-09-2017 18:07
Me

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, it is set to ProPhoto

Regards

Simon
06-09-2017 17:57
Supporter

Hi Simon,

In Capture One, what is your proof profile set to under View > Proof Profile?

Best regards, 

06-09-2017 17:50
Me

Hi,

I have processed a NEF file in Capture One Pro10, using the 'edit with' option, uncompressed TIFF 16bit, ICC Profile of ProPhoto, @ 300 px/in and edit variant to send to Affinity Photo. The colour profile in Affinity Photo is set to ProPhoto. When the file opens in Affinity Photo, it has a Magenta Colour Shift effecting the whole document, no adjustment are made in Affinity Photo. When the 'new' variant opens back in Capture One, the side by side comparison is distinctly different.

Could you let me know what the potential causes are for this and any recommended default settings for Capture One to enable the variant to mirror image the original NEF file.

Regards

Simon
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I look forward to your response.

Many Thanks

Simon

3 hours ago, Simon R said:

…When you mean 'default state' which profile are you using?…

Hello Simon R,

just meant that COP is by default set to use the Profile chosen in the actual Processing Recipe.

I'm also using ProPhoto as editing working space, but have my Processing Recipes usually set to export with AdobeRGB (some even to sRGB).

ProPhoto has theoretical advantages, but practically there is simply no monitor or camera system capable to use this colour space.

Did I understand your PhaseOne support ticket correctly in that your issue is resolved by simply zooming in to 100%?

Then, I was obviously just lucky by having a larger screen.

Thank you for posting the solution, useful information!

cheers, Roger