You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

History shows excess transparent border after crop, want to delete

Hi, I've exported a few pngs (not a problem to this point with jpgs) that I've then uploaded to an art photo site I use. There I get a msg saying though they accept pngs, they need to convert to a jpg to get rid of the excess transparent border I thought I'd cropped out.

I've tried clicking the clip canvas command without any luck, at least in terms of my history tabs still showing the excess transparent border.

I've tried to clip canvas cmd with the image flattened & unflattened, with the background layer selected & not selected. In PS I simply crop & the excess is (I think) gone from the final file. I'm not real great with PS either, so my learning curve is probably a little steeper than otherwise probably :)

Thanks so much,

Adan

ps - below is the png file I've most recently struggled with, thanks!

Houston Circa 2007.png

Hi Adan,

I fear your crop was just not drastic enough. You missed some transparent or semi-transparent pixels on the left side of your image, and that might be the reason why the upload site was refusing your image. Try cutting away these pixels with the Crop Tool and have a look if it works.

The Clip Canvas command doesn’t work in this case, for the transparency area is “bent” into the image, probably resulting from a previous correction of the lens distortion.

Alternatively, you could export with Matte set to a solid color and get rid of the transparency that way (Export Dialogue > More … > Matte Settings), but I doubt this is what you are after … ;)

Cheers,

Alex :)

Transparent.png.5e92d8f0a96d0d0c674f8f69f4eb318a.png