You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot create any new symbols

I had stumbled on this problem before, but now I was able to isolate it. In the example attached, it is not possible to create any new symbol unless the existing one ("Background") is deleted. This would not a problem in this simple file, but in the actual project I have around 30 screens using the same background and several other symbols, so reinserting them one by one would be quite painful.

Hope you can reproduce this (and fix it, of course).

Bug - won't create symbol AD16.afdesign

• Staff

In fact looking at the object the symbol definitely looks broken. For example it doesn't show as a Symbol object in your document, despite having the orange line. The same happens when I drag it out - it doesn't show as a symbol. Can you remember how you created the symbol object?

Sean, this symbol is part of a large project with many objects, symbols, some constraint groups and several artboards. There was lots of editing involved for some time now, so I can't be sure what exactly was done to generate this particular symbol. This is not the first time it happened, so there must be something in AD that triggers this condition somehow.

On 01/09/2017 at 10:47 AM, Sean P said:

it doesn't show as a Symbol object in your document

Sean, if you mean the Context toolbar, "Symbol" never shows up for layers (they should). I still think there should be some way of showing symbols in the work area itself.

• Staff
19 hours ago, rubs said:

Sean, if you mean the Context toolbar, "Symbol" never shows up for layers (they should). I still think there should be some way of showing symbols in the work area itself.

I meant in the Layers Panel. They should appear as a 'Symbol' layer with the items as children to that - but for some reason that one doesn't.

• Staff

Ahh it seems when you make a symbol from a Layer object it doesn't display as (Symbol) object type, but doing one from a non Layer object (such as a Rectangle) does! See my attached screenshot both are symbols! Something seems a bit odd about that behaviour to me so I'll get that passed on as well.

Symbol.png

Meantime you can use global colors for that UI background (leftbar, navbar and content) and for that white navbar with shadow try to use "styles". You can globally change color settings by this way although not the dimensions. But if you are satisfied with dimensions, it should be no problem for now.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.