You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is anyone else having trouble with borderless printing?  (I'm running Mavericks with a Canon Pixma MX860)  

I am choosing the Paper Handling to Letter Borderless, which enables the Amount of Extension slider under Borderless Printing, but not matter the setting I choose, the edges still show white in the preview, and print white as well.  I am not having this issue with other programs (iDraw, Pages, OpenOffice)

Busenitz,

It might help to let them know which version of Affinity Designer you are using. Are you using the Mac App Store version or the beta version? If you are using the App Store version, you should download the beta and give it a try and see if it fixes your problem. Just be aware that if you save a file using the beta, you will no longer be able to open it using the App Store version (so I would make a copy of my files first just in case). I would also suggest that you try exporting your Affinity Designer file as a PDF and then try using Preview (or Acrobat) to print it and see if that works. Just something to try. Good Luck!

Hokusai

Busenitz,

Are you printing a photo or some vector art? I don't believe that Affinity Designer has the ability to use bleeds just yet but it is on the roadmap. When I export a vector drawing, it doesn't create a white border but I haven't tried it with a photo. Have you tried cropping the PDF in Preview or Acrobat so that the border isn't there? I know it isn't ideal but it might work?

Ok, that could be the problem.  I'm using the program mostly for vector work, but wanted to print an 8.5x11 for scrapbooking, and since I had AD open, just dragged in a jpg.  I've also tried clipping the jpg in a vector 8.5x11.  Sorry, I'm not a pro here, just a serious home crafter, used to CorelDRAW.  You've probably answered the question, so I'll wait and see - figured it might be on my end.  Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Busenitz,

I think that Affinity Designer is showing you what your printer is reporting are its genuine unprintable areas - which in this case doesn't sound like it's right? I've got a Pixma 6300 at home so I'll try to take a look...

In the meantime, Hokusai has suggested some really great things (thanks Hokusai!) - one of which was exporting to PDF - don't confuse this with 'Save as PDF' (or whatever it's called) in the Print dialog - that saves the Print output to a PDF so will include the printer's unprintable region clip! Instead, choose File->Export and select PDF. This knows nothing about the printer and shouldn't produce any clipping. Now you should be fine to just print that PDF.

Sorry about this in the meantime,

Matt