You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export from rhinoceros to affinity designer ( and the other way around )

Hi, 

Did someone knows a good way to import and export files between rhinoceros and affinity designer in a good way? ( the PDF option doesn't seem to work in the best way )

is there any plugin? I would like a direct way ( not going to another software as a intermediary step ) 

thank you in advance

best regards, 

Luis 

• Staff

Hi LuisP,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as i know there's no way to do this directly. Rhino doesn't include the PDF stream when save the Ai file which is the only data we have access to (the rest is private/proprietary) and so Affinity only displays a white page. We don't support the old Ai format (from 1992) so as far as i know there's no way to open Rhino's exported files directly in Affinity apps. Here's a few threads you may want to take a look:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Similarly I am looking for workflow options between Affinity Designer and Rhino. Also, in that vein, has anyone found ways of working with Anfinity Designer for output to laser-cutting, or CNC machining? ai, DWG and DXF are my go to formats to output vector to lasercutter or CAM software, all of which I can do from Rhino and Illustrator. I would love more than anything to leave illustrator behind forever. I will be buying your product, but if you can implement DXF output, it would be a game changer for CNC people who are stuck with Illustrator for the few things it does better than Rhino.

I have been messing around with some tests between Affinity and Rhino, and I believe I have a solution if you are using Rhino6 or Rhino7WIP.  To get curves from Affinity into rhino, simply save as PDF and import the PDF into an open Rhino file. Preserve model units, or just scale it what you need it to be in Rhino. To get curves from Rhino into Affinity, simply go to Print and for the printer, select print to Adobe PDF.  You have some options in the View/ Output and Scale , so be sure you are saving the correct view and curves.  PDF has worked for me so far both ways. Saving file from Rhino as an .AI file is empty when opened in Affinity Designer. Saving an EPS from Affinity also has not worked when imported into Rhino. But, I am glad to see that the PDF does work to carry the vector info back and forth between Affinity Designer and Rhino.  I think I can cut the Adobe cord for now.

• 2 weeks later...