You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Guys

Once again another newbie, but I hope you have some brain energy to spare!

My current predicament is, even after reading the AD guide, that I'm unable to find a way to equally space rhomboids within my design.

My design essentially is a suite of Amor with varying rhomboids to make up the armour, Im looking for a way to make sure that all the pieces have equal distances between them. I have tried the transform tool but this is really restricted to nodes within each curve to a X and Y coordinates which would require a lot of pythagoras!

I was thinking is there any way to set equal distance between the lines which the nodes create?

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.31.15.png

Draw the whole figure with the segments touching each other. Easy to do w. snapping turned on. The nodes of 1 will snap to the position of the adjoining one. Copy all of them. Paste the duplicates in. Make their fill "none" and give them a square end, mitred stroke of whatever size look good. Then use the expand stroke command, which will turn the strokes to outline shapes that can be subtracted from the underlying object. lines in open areas, or that don't form a periphery can be drawn w. the pen tool, and those expanded and subtracted. 

Not the expanding a stroke works very well with hard angled strokes. Rounded ones can have very many nodes added, which might cause later difficulties.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

23 minutes ago, JACKJACK1234 said:

Im not sure how that spaces my segments out?

If you add strokes to the shapes you will separate them visually. By expanding the strokes, adding the new stroke shapes together and subtracting them from the original shapes, you will separate those segments physically.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Good advice above and is what I would do. Might need to clean up the expand command a bit in the relate version, maybe less so in the beta.

You've been typing on your phone again, haven't you!

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I really just wanted to comment on what a great casting...

Is this you exercising your casting vote, Mike? (Sorry!!)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is this you exercising your casting vote, Mike? (Sorry!!)

1. You are not really at all sorry, are you?

2. Is this perhaps you fishing for comments by recasting Mike's comment with that shadowy line? (This is perhaps the most tortured, convoluted pun I have ever made.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Guilty, Alfred. And with just a single thumb...

Got a phone call and stopped short my thought about the casting. It is cool from what I see of it. I've done sand and lost wax castings. It is an art to do well. Especially when everything needs draft, even those small letters/numbers.