You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone!

First i’m loving Affinity Photo and am amazed at what i can do with it. One thing that bugs me though is figuring out the workflow from multiple raw files to end photo. I shoot mostly portraits so lighting circumstances are the same for multiple photos at a time. I basically have 2 things i’m wondering about depending on what is possible.

• Is it possible to apply the develop persona settings to multiple raw files? I believe you can do that with the desktop version by saving it as some sort of preset. I would love to know if this is at all possible on the iPad version. Otherwise feature request ;)

• Another route would be to use Lightroom for the developing proces and then exporting it to cloud storage. I’ve tried tiff files but that generates 150 MB files from 25 MB raw files (exported as 16bit). Also tried jpegs but would prefer a file type without compression/data loss. Next thing i’ll Try is DNG.  

I would love to here your thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks.

Edited by Mellachi
Horrible grammar

• Staff

Hi Mellachi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo for iPad (and also desktop) wasn't designed as a DAM / RAW Developer as Lightroom or Aperture. It doesn't manage libraries, don't save RAW settings to a XMP sidecar files (or to a database) nor apply the same settings from one image (RAW) to a group of images from the same set. It's more comparable to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW where you start with a RAW image in Adobe Camera RAW for global adjustments (shadow highlights recovery etc), move to Photoshop for further editing using the usual photo editing tools (channels, selections etc) and export the end result. You can work around some of these limitations using batch jobs/macros (in the desktop version) but the workflow is different from a true DAM software. We do intend to develop a DAM software later.

Regarding your question: no, it's not possible to save develop presets in the iPad as we can in the desktop version.

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2017 at 4:24 AM, MEB said:

Hi Mellachi,
Affinity Photo for iPad (and also desktop) wasn't designed as a DAM / RAW Developer as Lightroom or Aperture. It doesn't manage libraries, don't save RAW settings to a XMP sidecar files (or to a database) nor apply the same settings from one image (RAW) to a group of images from the same set. It's more comparable to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW where you start with a RAW image in Adobe Camera RAW for global adjustments (shadow highlights recovery etc), move to Photoshop for further editing using the usual photo editing tools (channels, selections etc) and export the end result. You can work around some of these limitations using batch jobs/macros (in the desktop version) but the workflow is different from a true DAM software. We do intend to develop a DAM software later.

Regarding your question: no, it's not possible to save develop presets in the iPad as we can in the desktop version.

Hi MEB,

Actually Photoshop's Camera Raw allows you to do all that you have listed: save presets, export XMP and reapply the same adjustments to different files, as well as automatically saving those adjustments on opening the file and reading them when you open the same Raw file again.

The problem with iPad is that if the app crashes you loose all you work (it just happened to me, half an hour of adjustments in Develop persona with multiple brush layers). It's very frustrating as you have to start from the beginning and there's no guarantee it won't crash again. 

Best,

Vitaly

• 6 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, iband said:

Actually Photoshop's Camera Raw allows you to do all that you have listed: save presets, export XMP and reapply the same adjustments to different files, as well as automatically saving those adjustments on opening the file and reading them when you open the same Raw file again.

Yep. I was going to point out the same distinction. While I understand @MEB's point as well as the current design decisions for Affinity Photo, it will be major news once Serif releases their DAM and the capability to save raw settings and maybe other persona presets. But let's tighten up on Affinity software's current goals first.

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2017 at 8:24 PM, MEB said:

Hello there, thank you for this impressive app for iPad, do you have any information about the availability of this feature?

thank you

On 1/27/2021 at 8:08 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Toscan,
There's plans to port this feature to the iOS version however we intend to make some improvement/changes to macOS version before porting it to iOS so it's possible it may take some time but we will get there.

Hi Meb, 

Thank you for your reply, and I’m glad that it’s just a question of time, even if it will take a long time, the survivors will see and I’m glad if I’ll be part of them.

Basically, it’s not a DAM that I need, personally, I only need a way to save the 7 cursors I’ve moved to reach my raw development, instead of having to move the same buttons hundreds of time for each file, a preset setting file slot maybe? 

Some of them are available on the OSX version.

Thank you again. For now I still need camera raw to develop raw files for a couple of works.