You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird Swatches Behavior

At least, it seems weird to me.  Once I have clicked on Colour, when I next click on Swatches ALL I can see is the Category title. But if I then click on Brushes and then come back and click on Swatches again, all the swatches are visible.

It's not a one-time thing; happens every time.  Drove me nuts till I realized that I could get the swatches to show up again by clicking on Brushes and then back to Swatches.

Is this a bug or have I just got something weird going on in my system? (Wouldn't be the first time.)

• Staff

I'm not able to replicate this here, but i'm running Mavericks. Maybe some of the developers with access to a Mountain Lion machine can replicate it. Meanwhile the only thing i can suggest you is to try the Beta and check if the problem persists. I know there was some improvements made to the docked/undocked palettes/UI that may have fixed your issue. You can install it along your current MAS version since one doesn't interfere with the other.

If you go for it just note you cannot open a file created or saved with the Beta in the current MAS version until its updated to use the improved file format as well.

I HATE Mountain Lion!  (Just recently upgraded from SnowLeopard, which was a joy to use, mostly so I could run Affinity Designer) Mountain Lion is one odd quirk and missing or moved function after another.  I had downloaded and played with the 1.0.21861 Beta.  I just now downloaded the 1.1.2 Beta, which tells me it can't run without a purchased version on hand....WT??  And quits and directs me to the App Store.  On top of that, I pulled the Beta 1.0.2 back out of the trash and now it tells me the same thing. I'm going to go away for a while now. There's a wall in my house that needs some head banging!

MEB, I finally got the beta to open up.  After umpteen tries and a new download of the beta. And the Color/Swatches/Brushes panels all perform as they should in the beta, so it's just something quirky in this particular install of MAS.  As I said earlier, it's not really a problem since I have a work-around.

• Staff

@LilleG

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Do you have uninstalled the MAS version before installing the Beta?

If you did remove the MAS version prior to install the Beta, that's the reason it is telling you that you can't run the beta and pointing you to the Mac App Store. You must keep the MAS version installed otherwise the Beta will not run. The access to the beta is restricted to customers and the only way we have to know that you purchased the application is through the presence of the MAS version (installed) on your computer.

How to fix this:

- download and install the MAS version from the Mac App Store;

- launch the beta if you still have it installed to check if it runs. If it does, you don't need to do anything else. Just start using it normally.

- if the Beta doesn't run, drag it to the trash and download and install it again from here. This is a direct link to the latest Beta available (1.1.2.22384). It should now run without trouble.

Note you cannot open a file created or saved with the Beta in the current MAS version until its updated to use the improved file format as well.

I should have made clear about the need to keep the MAS version installed.

Let me know if everything went fine.

MEB, what was weird about it was that the MAS version was installed the whole time. No problem with your instructions.  Or with those from the beta itself.  It would automatically send me to the App Store, which would tell me that MAS was installed. (I kinda' felt like a gerbil on a wheel there for a bit.) There may have been a glitch during the download of the beta (I did do it over one more time just before it worked.) Or a temporary hiccup in my system (I've had a few of those.)  Anyway, it's working now. And the Color/Swatches panel works as expected in the beta, still quirky in my MAS.  

Thanks for all your help.