You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Simplifying / closing single curve

So we've learnt another approach :D
Thanks JimmyJack for your participation, that's certainly quicker way than "rectangle" one, but I admit, it can be tricky with complex objects as well.

I'll create the feature request for this tomorrow, since it's clear now that it's needed.
When I started this thread I thought I'm simply missing some tools, since I'm still fairly new to Affinity.
Turns out I'm not the only one ;)

40 minutes ago, m.wieckowska said:

Turns out I'm not the only one ;)

Not in the least! :)

And I think the "feature request" you're looking for is...... Please fix the <fill in words of choice> Booleans! :D

(btw, they are aware.... and have been fixing them for about two years now)

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

... for example with the attached file or variations of it: my nightmare.afdesign

58 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

....Just hide one of the other shapes to get access to red's nodes....

Hmm. Don't need to hide anything. With all three selected all nodes are available for selection. Even those of shapes below others.

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:
2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

....Just hide one of the other shapes to get access to red's nodes....

Hmm. Don't need to hide anything. With all three selected all nodes are available for selection. Even those of shapes below others.

The problem I was having was not selecting nodes to break but deciding which nodes were the 'innocuous' ones that would not distort any shape when I broke them. Maybe it is just me, but as the shapes & overlaps get more complex, that becomes progressively more difficult.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

No no. The squeaky wheel gets the grease! By all means request away!!! :ph34r:

(at least that's what my optimistic side says.....)

The developers have made it clear that a lot of 'squeaking wheels' is not by itself enough to get a feature request added to the roadmap. They say they consider all requests but the decision is made based primarily on things users don't usually give a lot of thought to, like the difficulty of implementing (& debugging) the feature, how long that would take, its effect on overall application performance or system requirements, its interdependencies on other features that are also being developed or improved, & so on.

Considering all that, I suspect this will require more than just fixing the problems with booleans. If nothing else, it will have to scale well regardless of the number of nodes or overlapping segments involved or users will complain about how long it takes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7