You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows "sirup experience"

Hi!

Did the move from Adobe apprx a year ago on my Macs and love it. However: Now I am on Windows on a brand new Corsair One NVIDIA GTX1080 machine with 16GBs Ram, SSD etc and doing some mockups in Designer just turns slower and slower the more layers I add. I have some layers with gradients and suspect that they bring the whole app down. Now it is so slow that grouping (CTRL+G) uses 3 seconds to do the task. On my older Macbook Pro 2015 it runs as smooth as butter. 

What can be wrong? I am not turning back to Macs for the time being.

• Staff

Hi Mooztar,

I have a very similar setup to you at home please could you provide me with the file so I can look into this for you?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Dear @moooztar, I hope you are doing fine. I had the same issue when i started with Affinity Designer on Windows. When we zoom in,especially when working on a complex piece with multiple objects,the system bogs down. Here are some suggestions that might help in this regard. Adjust some Performance Settings by going to the menu path:

Edit >  Preferences... > Performance

Adjust:

> Ram Usage Limit,try not to exceed the limits of your Ram(16GB(or 16000 MB(approx)) in your case)

> View Quality to Nearest Neighbour

> From the Renderer choose your graphic card[e.g: in your case NVIDIA GTX1080]

> Retina Rendering(select Automatic)

After applying these,try to restart the app and see whether it improves the performance?.

Thanks for the tip guys! Seems it is "better" now when I put the undo levels down to 128 (from the default range). Lovely that the support is so good on this forum. Makes me feel I have done the step to Affinity from Adobe worth it :-) Thanks!! Will continue on the sketch and see if it solved it. I noticed yday that the RAM was set default to 16GBs but in Win on all apps only 5GBs was in use; so it should be plenty of room for the undo steps; which in themselves should not choke the app right? (Bug?)

I also dont see an update button for the program; do I have to reinstall on each new version? Thanks!

It seems I am getting close to the bug; as in: I have around 100 text snippets on the Canvas and without selecting them just by turning off "Check spelling while you type" it eased up some CPU / GPU. As in "less sirup". 

I am on version 1.5.3.69 and I would really appreciate if Affinity included a software updater in the program itself (like Adobe and others have). 

Hope this is helpful; but I guess I am more into text snippets than perhaps others and therefor was lead to believe that the problem was related to gradients?

• Staff

Hi moooztar, could you be tempted into trying the latest customer beta version of Designer available from the beta forum here? It installs alongside your current version and shouldn't affect it. I'm hoping you'll find the new beta flies in comparison to the current release version :) Let us know how you get on!

Thanks MattP finally I feel at home on Win10 as I did (and again loved) on the Mac version of Designer. Big relief! 

Also thanks for sorting out: fonts searching + supporting copy / paste from Windows Character Map app (charmap.exe). BIG help (timewaste to search for special chars).

It seems very stable and I do know of the rollback issue on docs 1.6 to 1.5 but I will take my chances on this version for now :-)

ONLY big up now is to get a simpler "version updater" built in :-) It could be in both the Beta version and the Official release. Just a simple subMenu option under Help would do the trick (Check for updates > Do you want to update now?)

Thanks again!!