OscarAraya

Crash when opening RAW file

Hello,

I have an issue when opening RAW files. I'm using the latest version of the app running on iOS 11 on a iPad Pro 10.5 (2017). 

Raw file comes from a Nikon D3300 (which is a supported camera). 

I have seen the issue on each iOS 11 public beta so far. 

The problem is present no matter if I open the file from cloud or from my photos. Basically goes like this, when I import the file I am presented with the develop persona. But the image is black, every control is enabled, but I can't see the image, just a black screen. 

If i press on the check mark button to develop the app crashes. 

Hey OscarAraya,

I've just downloaded a sample raw file from a Nikon D3300 and it opens fine on my desktop but for some reason won't even load on the iPad. Any chance you could send me your example?

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey OscarAraya,

I've just downloaded a sample raw file from a Nikon D3300 and it opens fine on my desktop but for some reason won't even load on the iPad. Any chance you could send me your example?

I can provide the file, but i don’t want to post it here, i could send it privately for testing purposes only. Does that works? 

39 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yes, of course. Please use this private Dropbox link so only myself can access it. Once we're done, I will remove the file. Or if you'd rather, you can use your own service.

I’m uploading the file. I noticed something weird. The file extension is .tiff instead of .nef. I wonder if that is the problem. Maybe iOS changed my file somehow. 

The way I am able to recreate is to copy the file on my photos inside the Photos app on iOS. Then open the file on affinity photo. I hope the file helps to figure it out. 

Oscar and Chris, I'm experiencing the same black screen and crash. iOS 10.3, Affinity 1.6.4.51. I get the same crash results from using ARW files from my A7Rii and also DNG files from my X5, or Mavic.

has there been any resolution to this problem that was not posted here? Or will there be a compatibility resolution in the next update?

Aloha,

Brian

Hey OscarAraya, I've reproduced this with your file so I'll get it passed to development. 

Update - Can you put the file straight from your camera to a desktop and see if it opens correctly from there? I have no idea how the file has now become a TIFF. 

@Brian V We have an issue logged for the Mavic but it was closed because the sample we had appeared black in iCloud meaning it is an Apple raw issue. Does your sample appear black? If it doesn't, can you send it to me?

Please find the attached DNG. I haven't had any issues in the past opening these in my MBP or on Lightroom.

my DNG image appears black in Affinity, but I used my WD Passport Pro (wifi HDD) to get them image from the Mavic to my iPad. With the WD, I can import the file directly into my photo library on my iPad. 

Thank you you for looking into this further.

Aloha,

Brian

IMG_1124.DNG

I recently purchased the app and have the exact same issue when opening RAW files from my Nikon D7500. No problems with viewing and editing in other apps--iOS Photos, Snapseed, Lightroom, Photofox or Facetune 2--even though Apple officially does not yet list support for that camera's RAW processing. 

I too am having this same issue.. iPad pro 9.7" with current version of Affinity 1.6.5 loaded.  The Raw file from my Sony A7RIII is loaded into my camera roll.  Once the import screen comes up, if i hit the check mark for develop as mentioned above, the app crashes

It’s sad that this hasn’t been addressed... I haven’t touched Affinity because of this issue. Losing so much control over the image under jpg compression is unacceptable.

it would be nice to finally get an update that would allow RAW / ARW file compatibility.  I noticed the incompatibility issue back in August  while touring, posted it here once I returned home in September of 2017 & this still hasn’t been resolved. 

I wonder how difficult file compatibility is...

aloha,

Brian

In my case I can't use with my Nikon NEF raw files, doesn't work with Nikon D7000 photos, and in your description you said it works.
The app automatically shut down or close when I try open a NEF file.
I have a big problem.

Doesn’t look like it. Affinity has not updated their iOS app in quite a long time, and it this seems this problem was not addressed in the last update... 

This is an issue that can only be resolved by the App Developers. 

Or you can completely destroy the editing latitude you have with RAW files and convert them to JPGs in a computer then push those files back to your mobile device... sad...

I really had high hopes to do some basic PCC and mild editing on my iPad while on the road... now I still carry my laptop to do the editing I feel like I should be able to do on me pad...

Affinity, are you listening to your customer base? Is this a dead thread and needs to be referenced in a new one to get your attention?

cheers,

Brian

I’m using  a D3300.  On my iPad...If I transfer an edited Snapseed image to Affinity, I get an error message that the color format is not supported.  I’m a newbie so I’m not sure if this would be a camera problem or a problem with my settings on Affinity.  This is the error msg. 

Failed to open file
/Private/var/mobile/containers/data/application/
62B1D3A5-2745-4520-8FFE-58CD1D90A839/Documents/inbox/untitled/Untitled-1.jpg

I cannot save the file to photos from Snapseed.  It just says cannot save photo
Thanks