You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to select colour range

Ive just started using affinity on an iPad Pro.

Im used to using photoshop so get that you may not be able to do everything I'm used to doing on my iMac but so far its almost like for like.

The only thing I'm not getting to grips with is the selection tools and in particular selecting isolated colour. Is there a way to do a colour selection when using the box marquee or polygon marquee tool then colour filling the selection

eg on a black and white image selecting the whole image then isolating only the black part to make a new colour fill on a separate layer?

• Staff

Hi Dejong,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Have you tried to use the Flood Selection Tool (the magic wand icon) in Selection Persona? Set the tolerance value on the context toolbar on bottom then tap the colour you want to select on canvas. You may have to adjust the tolerance a little until you get just the colour you want. The Mode popup (on the context toolbar on bottom) lets you switch between modes (add, subtract etc). Tap on it and scroll the popup to change them. To fill the selection with a colour, change to Photo Persona, select the Flood Fill Tool (the paint bucket icon) set a colour in the Colour Studio and tap over the selection to fill it with the colour you selected.