You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I saved some text in an svg format and tried to upload it to tinkercad and it says error in svg file.  I noticed there is 4/different options of svgs, i tried each one to find the correct one to work in tinkercad and not a one worked.  I also tried to upload to cricut design space with those four different svgs and none of them either.  I am new to affinity i was going to purchase today and decided to do the trial first, boy i am glad i did!

This seems to be a limitation of Tinkercad. There is a comment in their forum here saying they don't support styles. Our export uses styles; they are a core part of the SVG format definition and I've not come across another app that doesn't support them. I tried removing the styles, but I couldn't make an SVG that Tinkercad could use. I suggest you talk to them.

• 5 months later...

You have to compare the SVG output code of AI and AD here and see where the differences are. Then you can try to adjust the AD generated SVG code manually inside a text editor so it might be accepted and can be imported/parsed in by that TinkerCAD software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 8 months later...

I’ve been trying to design a complex shape in SVG format for import into TinkerCad (for subsequent 3D development). SVG files exported from Affinity Designer won’t load into TinkerCad with any of the Preset options. I found the problem to be two attributes of the <svg> tag in the exported file: 

width="100%" height="100%"

If these are removed or changed to a dimension in mm the SVG file is accepted by TinkerCad. SVG files exported from Illustrator or Inkscape do not seem to have this problem.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dimensions in SVG are in arbitrary units, with no fixed relationship to real-world units (such as mm). To make a correctly-sized 2.5D shape for Tinkercad requires some spoofing to get a file that Tinkercad will accept.

1.     Before starting a design in AD, go to the Document Setup tab (upper left of the UI).

2.     In the dialog, set the DPI to 25.4 (you may recognize this number), then OK.

3.     Design your shape at the required size in mm (object dimensions are at lower right in UI).

4.     When your design is complete, select File | Export and choose SVG.

5.     In the first dialog select the SVG (for export) preset then hit the More button

6.     In the next dialog, make sure Use Document Resolution is checked. Leave all the lower option boxes unchecked, except for Flatten Transforms (unchecking this won’t change the eventual result, but the SVG file will be a bit more complicated).

7.     Click Close, then Export.

8.     Import the SVG file into Tinkercad. Your shape should appear on the XY plane at the correct size, extruded by 10mm in the Z direction. It’s now a 3D shape that can be manipulated like other shapes in Tinkercad.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, Gadger said:

Dimensions in SVG are in arbitrary units, with no fixed relationship to real-world units (such as mm). To make a correctly-sized 2.5D shape for Tinkercad requires some spoofing to get a file that Tinkercad will accept.

1.     Before starting a design in AD, go to the Document Setup tab (upper left of the UI).

2.     In the dialog, set the DPI to 25.4 (you may recognize this number), then OK.

3.     Design your shape at the required size in mm (object dimensions are at lower right in UI).

4.     When your design is complete, select File | Export and choose SVG.

5.     In the first dialog select the SVG (for export) preset then hit the More button

6.     In the next dialog, make sure Use Document Resolution is checked. Leave all the lower option boxes unchecked, except for Flatten Transforms (unchecking this won’t change the eventual result, but the SVG file will be a bit more complicated).

7.     Click Close, then Export.

8.     Import the SVG file into Tinkercad. Your shape should appear on the XY plane at the correct size, extruded by 10mm in the Z direction. It’s now a 3D shape that can be manipulated like other shapes in Tinkercad.

OMG You are a GOD!!!!!! This answer should be pinned in golden/fire letters in the forum!!!!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!

I have been struggling with tinkercad, affinity designer, inkscape, code editors... maybe 24 hours in 3 days.

At first I could not import to tinkercad : (see image attached). And It was a 24x 123 mm "piece" (but the file was 300 dpi, as before I used to print it in cardboard to make a template to cut leather ). 

After searching on google and reddit a lot I found a semi workaround using inkscape (and resizing in tinkercad to get it the right size but my "OCD" nedded a "cleaner" solution )and then I came here and found this: 

So I started playing with the svg code in a code editor.... and changing units, the viewbox,etc (I even started reading the fracking svg specification and I´m not a coder) Some advancemets were made but the dimensions always were a bit off when importing to tinkercad and then your magic number !!!!! 25.4 dpi

I even was about to file a bug report!!!!

PD: Now my OCD wants to be able to make a custom preset with this DPI but the 25.4 gets rounded to 25 when I create it!!!!!! GRRRRRRR

tinkercad fail.jpg