You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Andy Summer's Field of Dreams wrote:

"Remember - some workflows can use a fraction of the capability of even AD - never mind Illustrator. Or do you mean *your* workflow?"

Your passive aggression has been noted. You can do better, I'm sure.

When will keyboard shortcut customisation be implemented?

Keyboard shortcuts are on our roadmap. They'll probably be done in the next 12 months. Maybe the next 6 months because we agree they are important. The next 3 months would be nice, but we have a lot else to do in that time so maybe not. I appreciate it may be frustrating for you if our priorities don't match yours. I wrote earlier that we were in it for the long haul. We will get it all done, but not all at once and not necessarily in the order you want.

1. If that’s a revelation to you, or in some way needs the support of an exposed pulpit to be preached from so you might consider it, then I can’t help you because you have cognition and discernment issues and problems in need of addressing. 

2. One more time… all of the above are common sense, and common knowledge. It’s a surprise to me when anyone would suggest otherwise, and I tend to attempt to enlighten those ignorant of common sense and in denial of common knowledge.

3. If any of that comes across as arrogance, “an air of superiority”, negativity, pessimism or whatever else you might deem it (whilst finding it objectionable) the problem is not with me, it’s you.

4. Because you’re failing at common sense, and over time that’s gonna cost you exponentially more than your Adobe subscription.

5. Help yourself out. Take a step back and be a little objective about software, tools, creativity, the markets, media, new mediums and their impacts and the very large shadow Adobe casts over all of this.

Thanks for you in-depth analysis, captain obvious... I've taken the liberty of numbering your piercing and penetrating insights for purposes of clarity in my reply:

1. As far as cognition and discernment issues, the one missing the boat here is you: nobody here seems to enjoy your attitude and tone. Have you considered that you come across as an asshole to your peers?

2. Nobody here needs your "enlightenment," least of all the developers who made it to the top of the MAS list, lol... Your "insights" are anything but. Again, you're missing the boat about enlightenment: Here's some enlightening words for you: Know Thyself...

3. Those terms were kind... You come across as an asshole, or as someone said to me in a private message, more of "a human doughnut, who doesn't know where his mouth ends and his arse begins." True story...

4. Because you're failing at common communication skills, and because nobody likes standing next to something that stinks. That will also cost you more than your precious "hidden costs" associated with using your brain in a new way, as your are obviously uncomfortable using it for anything other than pile driving your points.

5. Dude, seriously, the one who needs major help here is you. Be a little objective about your tone, your attitude, and you the way you relate to others. You stated your point enough times already that the developers understand your "insights" and "expertise," and they've been more than kind and patient with someone who deserves much less. So why don't you give people a chance to assimilate your ideas. Or better yet, open up the program, and MAKE something that will inspire us to see the light. That's what I do when I want the developers to be inspired and take my ideas seriously. But all you offer is a condescending tone and arrogance. Any possible REAL insights you may have, are lost in your crass delivery. It's basic semiotics. For someone who claims to be a marketing and design expert, I'm surprised you don't take more time to communicate effectively, succinctly, and most importantly, kindly.

Until this post I wasn't sure about your sense of humour. 

I stand corrected. 

You're a laugh riot!

Thanks @deeds! I wish I could say the same about you, as it appears you have the tact and communication skills of a traumatized primate. It's more sad and pitiful than funny, really... perhaps you're spending too much time being an "expert" and being right about everything, and too little time with your fellow human beings to understand how to communicate effectively. I bet your tone and attitude always wins the hearts and minds of all around you... LMAO...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Guys, calm down ... don’t engage in futile discussions ...  :D

I think the main point Deeds wanted to address is centered around the following fact: Affinity Designer is directed to a market which has been dominated for a long time by products of a certain software company that have come to be seen as a kind of industry standard in computer based design ... 

... and I believe everyone who has been using these "industry standard" products for years has figured out for himself how to use them in the most effective and productive way. Now imagine a new product appearing on this market. It is quite normal that there are new ways and habits that have to be learned and acquired before you get as productive with the new tools as with the old ones. And from an economic point of view Deeds may be right that this learning time has to be counted as an additional expense. And he might also be right, that certain options like shortcut customization would have helped to flatten or smoothen the learning curve. But on the other hand, if the skills you have to acquire improve your workflow afterwards, there is certainly a trade-off between the effort of learning and the profit you gain from your new skills ...

Now we can engage in an endless discourse, if Affinity Designer should have been released with or without this or that option, but I do not have the impression, that the developers are unaware of things people demand and need for their daily work. Quite the contrary. So I think it is unfair to criticize Serif for the way they decided to publish their products. A simple feature request ("shortcut customization", "adopting certain Adobe standards") would have done, I’m sure ...

I don’t know if I have expressed my opinions and sentiments in an understandable way, and please rest assured, that I certainly don’t want to be offensive or unkind to any partner in this discussion ...  :)

Cheers,

Alex

Keyboard shortcuts are on our roadmap. They'll probably be done in the next 12 months. Maybe the next 6 months because we agree they are important. The next 3 months would be nice, but we have a lot else to do in that time so maybe not. I appreciate it may be frustrating for you if our priorities don't match yours. I wrote earlier that we were in it for the long haul. We will get it all done, but not all at once and not necessarily in the order you want.

This was never about me, it was always about the royal me.

;)

Deeds, 

A few questions have yet remained unanswered this are:

1. Have you used AD or APh to create anything?
  2. What is your artistic level? Mine is only tracing and pen tool. Photography and copy writing/wordplay is my preferred area (Self taught hobbyist and proud of it)
  3. Are you willing to showcase your art? We WOULD judge it fairly and still be NICE about it!
  4. Did you enjoy creating it?
  5. Was it better or worse than creating it/them using rival software?
  6. What is your favourite app of all time; paid for/free/shareware?
  7. Whose product launch, was perfect in YOUR eyes?
  8. Can you explain, when and where this happened?
  9. Could respond to these questions in a civil, polite and level headed way? Without the swearing.

By the way I do read VIZ, so I'm not offended by the words themselves (although others here maybe), just the direction and character assassination of of the people who do not deserve these comments!

Hope you can accept this olive branch and give us something nice to look forward to.

peter

Free speech is both a right and a responsibility.

It's one thing, to have a sharp tongue: it's another to have a sharp mind.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

If it’s any consolation, all my friends say I’m intolerable. That I put on my good graces for those I’m new to.

But that’s just my friends, they would say that.

People I’ve recently met say things like “you seem nice”, to which my wife usually chortles.

So long as I’m entertaining her, I’m happy.

Peter, less seriously, if you trouble yourself to go back through what I've said (and I realise that's a trauma, so in a moment I'll save you the trouble) you'd see that I was not critical of the launch, but of the failure to find something that folks could dig their teeth into. A killer feature.

This has caused a loss of momentum. There's no single compelling reason to insert AD into a professional workflow, and there's a considerable set of 'showstoppers' for doing so.

A couple of folks have taken it upon themselves to suggest I might be wrong about this. I think they're missing the real meaning of "compelling" because it's been diluted by some of the folks they see writing about tech.

You, a writer, don't need this pointed out but for those that do, here's the definition of compelling:

compelling: evoking interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way:

And I've gone on to point out the folly in discussing the sticker price of AD because at $50 it's so cheap as to be an irrelevant part of the equation... with one caveat... except to be a little casual.

Given the scope of AD I think $50 is way low, regardless of its current immaturity.