You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patch Tool Bug

Hello all,
Is anybody else having issues with the Patch Tool in Mac beta4?
I consistently get a strange saturation/burn thing happening.
I’m sure it should produce results more like a Copy+Past action.
(It also happens in the current MAS version too)

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 20.07.13.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff

Hi, have you tried checking the Texture Only option on the context toolbar? The patch tool does tonal and textural blending by default, and in this case it's not producing the expected result.

Even with tonal matching, the result you're getting looks quite odd - have you got any other work going on in this image/document? What does your layer structure look like? Also, if you try right clicking the layer you're working on (usually named Background) and choosing Rasterise, does this alter the patch tool behaviour at all?

Thanks and hope to hear back from you!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thank's for the suggestions, sadly though not much changed.
The only layers in there, except the ones now containing the notation seen in the screenshot for this post, were the background and a pixel layer to receive the patch.
I can send you the file if you want to give it a shake and see what drops out.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Just bumping this again in light of the latest Photo beta5.
Is this tool working as intended?

I’m still getting results that I would not expect but that may just be me not understanding what this tool is designed for.
If so what are it’s use cases that make it more desirable to use than one of the other retouching tools, like the Clone tool for example or even just doing a Select/Copy/Paste?
In the attached very short video, why dose the brown fur turn green when placed over the grass? Even though the Texture Only option is un-selected.
I eagerly await enlightenment!

Video link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36ycpfbx9g9ipa5/Patch_Tool.mp4?dl=0

• Staff

Hi markw

The tool seems to be working as intended. It fills the destination patch with whatever pixels best preserve the image gradients (i.e. the detail) from the source patch while also producing a seamless boundary. It works best when the source and destination patches have only slowly varying colours.  In that case the result will blend in seamlessly with its surroundings, something that can be hard to achieve with the clone tool or copy/paste when the source and destination regions have even slightly different colours. In the example image in your original post the undesirable red tinge is caused by the source patch extending slightly across the edge of the cow so it contains a sharp change from brown to green. It's best to avoid sharp edges when using the patch tool.

Hope that helps

Justin 

Thank’s Justin, the explanation is much appreciated.
So I was just misunderstanding how best to use this tool:$
Now I find myself wonder if the good Mr Ritson could do one of his excellent video tutorials demonstrating how to get the most out of this particular tool?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.