You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

perfectly aligned shapes showing background behind

In Designer:

I have shapes that are perfectly aligned on their edges but they are still showing the background behind especially when turned to raster elements. I have the points snapping to each other and have zoomed in very far to confirm that they are aligned. See attached sample.

I know I can put one shape behind the other shape and then overlap them but I need to avoid doing this as I will have hundreds of these shapes and will need to delete different ones and have the space be accurate. I will be bringing the files into Photo and will be rasterizing the project at the end as well. It seems that AD is not seeing the edges as being perfectly next to each other despite the points being aligned.

Even if I put a small stroke on the shapes the background is still showing through slightly. I'd rather not have to put on a stroke regardless.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Cheers!

gaps.zip

edit: I've even tried overlapping the shapes slightly and the background still shows through. Seems like it might be more of a bug.

This is a know rendering problem, and has to do w. the rasterizing routine. The standard work around is to put a stroke aligned to the outside of the fill. If there are defined swatches for the document, all the shapes can be drawn snapped together, and then the fill tool can be used to color groups of shapes w. their strokes altogether.

Post have mentioned that the fix is not trivial.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

17 minutes ago, gdenby said:

This is a know rendering problem, and has to do w. the rasterizing routine. The standard work around is to put a stroke aligned to the outside of the fill. If there are defined swatches for the document, all the shapes can be drawn snapped together, and then the fill tool can be used to color groups of shapes w. their strokes altogether.

Post have mentioned that the fix is not trivial.

Thanks for the reply and information!

I hope this can be fixed at some point as this is really an issue with some files and layouts and causes huge production issues.

Regarding the workaround: do you mean to have a separate shape with a stroke? is that around the entire group or around similar colors? If you are aware of another thread that has more info on this I'd be happy to read up on it there as well.

Thanks again!

You don't need a separate shape, the shape needs to have a stoke aligned to outside. It can be very small. .01 pt, for instance. Shapes w. the same color can all be selected and changed.

There are multiple threads on this, but I have a pot boiling....

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet