Sign in to follow this  
Matthewob

RAW import from photos problem: update from previous post

Hello All,

Thanks to the new update I can apparently finally open RAW files from Apple Photos on my IPad. However, I noticed that they do not open in the "develop" persona but rather in the picture persona as if they were a JPEG.  Also, I've notice that when I press on the "Camera" icon on the right hand side of the window except for a histogram non of the other metadata from the camera is listed.

I only shoot in RAW and everything is stored in apple photos so dispite being very excited to use Affinity Pro, these issues have kept me from really diving in and leaning this program.  

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Matthew

... Sorry I meant the RAW image opens in the "Photo" persona rather than the "Develop" persona.  I assume this is a bug and that the image I am seeing is not actually a RAW image once it is in the "photo" persona.  Am I doing something wrong ?  Is there something different I need to do when opening a RAW image?

Sorry for the double post.

Matthew

Hi Matthewob

You should have been able to open RAW files in Photos for the last couple of updates. Is you camera on the iOS supported list? we currently on use the apple engine so if it is not on this list then we will most likely only be opening the embedded jpeg instead

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I bought the Apps just before the last update and was never able to open RAW file directly from Photos.  I posted this issue and a moderator said it was a known problem and was being worked on.  I check back every week or so and when I saw the latest update as I posted previously it appears to be opening the RAW file but just not in the develop persona.

My camera is a Canon 6D which is on the supported list.

Greeting All,

Sorry for a sort of repost here but with some playing around I noticed something new with the RAW import issues.  When I go to import a RAW images from Photos, I select an image with the RAW icon in the bottom left corner of the image.  It opens but in the "picture" persona and not the "Develop" persona.  In addition when I check the Camera icon on the right only the histogram is displayed and no other info about the image.  BUT when I first do a test edit within Apple Photos and then import that image into Affinity Pro, it will open in the "Develop" persona.  Interestingly, when I go to import in this way the image in Photos no longer has the RAW icon in the bottom left corner and yet it opens as I said in the "develop" persona and when I click on the camera icon all the Camera metadata/setting etc are listed.  BTW I am using the iPad Pro 10.3.3 and a Canon 6D camera.

Any help would be appreciated.  I still can't use this for my editing and it looks so promising.  

Matthew

Hi Matthew

I shall take it you are using the mark 1 model and not the mark 2 model? Are you able to provide a sample image form your camera so I can take a more detailed look into this? Also how was the image added to the iPad was it added to Photos on Mac and shared across or did you add it directly by importing it form an SD card?

cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks so much for trying to help!  My camera is the canon 6D not the Mark I or II.  It is a full frame DSLR and on the supported list.  The RAW images were loaded first into Photos on my Mac then they sync with iCloud and my iPad Pro and they I import them into Affinity.  I attached a sample photo from Photos.

IMG_4801.CR2

4 hours ago, Matthewob said:

Thanks so much for trying to help!  My camera is the canon 6D not the Mark I or II.  It is a full frame DSLR and on the supported list.  The RAW images were loaded first into Photos on my Mac then they sync with iCloud and my iPad Pro and they I import them into Affinity.  I attached a sample photo from Photos.

IMG_4801.CR2

Hi Matthewob,

That sample photo you've attached is not a RAW file even though it has a CR2 extension. You can verify this by using the MacOS "Preview" app to view it and use 'Tools > Show Inspector' to see that it is a JPEG file. Have you already processed the image before hand?

Andy

I just imported it directly from Photos.  It must of been converted in the import process.  I know it is a RAW image in my Photos library but all of my images are optimized so the full image is stored in the cloud.  Is there a way to have Photos upload a copy of the RAW image?

15 hours ago, Matthewob said:

I just imported it directly from Photos.  It must of been converted in the import process.  I know it is a RAW image in my Photos library but all of my images are optimized so the full image is stored in the cloud.  Is there a way to have Photos upload a copy of the RAW image?

Apple Photos can convert your image to JPEG especially if you have told it to 'optimise'. The only way to bypass that is to tell it to 'Keep Originals', and to use the Apple Photos iCloud storage system, Especially in iOS11 where it will store HEIF internally, but give you the JPEG when asked by any application, or dragged to the desktop. You can always use any cloud storage system (iCloud, DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc) to store your RAW files and so ensure it never gets converted.