You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Image I’m Submitting For 1.6 Promo, VW Golf GTI 1.6 (AD)

VectorVonDoom

I was going to do this drawing in Illustrator but read about Serif/Affinity wanting images for their 1.6 promo material so thought I’d give AD a try for the first time. This will be my submission and it so happens the GTI had a 1.6 engine early on. 

Hopefully any Golf aficionado will recognise it as an imaginary custom series 1 Mk1 Golf GTI (1.6l 8v) in Miami blue. It’s been de-wipered, lowered, smoked lights, chrome bumpers, no arches and some really nice alloys you can’t see! I couldn’t decide on the colour, either Mars red or Miami blue. Obviously went with blue but the body just uses a single global colour so easy to change my mind later. 

All in all it went fairly smoothly, if you know Illustrator you pretty much know AD. Some things I really liked, one thing I really didn’t (I’m looking at you layers palette).  Overall it was fun and good practice. Never used so many gaussian blurs before.

As it's bank holiday weekend I've a little time to go back to it and tweak it if I decide I need to.

golf small.jpg

golf close up.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

34 minutes ago, MattP said:

Incidentally, what went wrong with the layers panel? I find it far less infuriating than Illustrator’s? :79_smiley_cat:

It seems to have a mind of its own. One of the its really annoying things is you have a layer selected and click new layer and it pretty much never puts the layer there. It's either up the top or down the bottom and then you you've got to find where you wanted it placed and drag it. Fine when you've couple of layers, not so fine when you've loads. Same goes for new paths being dropped in random places. That was by far the most annoying part of AD for me, made me swear more than once.

One thing I needed for this drawing and wasn't there was offset path. Wanted to do a -ve offset for the glass in the wing mirror. Noticed a couple of other "obvious" things missing like select same.... that I frequently use in AI but didn't need for this.  The main thing I liked over if I'd done it in AI was nested objects, you don't have to think unless you nesting the nested objects. 

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• Staff

‘Layers’ are created by default at the top level above the current layer. Objects are created by default just above the current object. You can control this by choosing the ‘insertion target’ prior to drawing/hitting new layer. I know that some ex-Corel users are looking for an ‘always at top’ mode...

I've had them put right at the top and sometimes right down the bottom, it they were above the currently selected layer I'd be fine with it as that's what you'd expect. Same with objects, they were often no where near the layer I was working on. Perhaps it's me, not sure if you can somehow deselect the layer you're on whilst drawing so it doesn't know where to put it so it goes top/bottom.

Will have to do something a bit more intricate and let let you know if I still curse at it!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• Staff

Ah! another masterful piece! The Share your work section is hot lately. Glad to see more people posting their (amazing) work.

Thank you for sharing this. The detail is simply stunning, in particular tyre detail and material, VW backlights, panel's reflections and metal renditions.

Please keep them coming!

• 3 months later...

This is really great VectorVonDoom! I know you're probably shooting for photo-realism, but I like the sense of "illustration" on this throughout. To me this is far better than photo-realism or even a photo for that matter. Combined with the almost orthographic view and the treed lane background, this comes off more as an art piece than a "see how close to realism I can get" piece. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. ;) I just think personally, this is above that artistically.

Regarding the layers panel, coming from illustrator as well, you do have to make some workflow adjustments. I find if I select the base layer that I want any new element to live on before creating that element it usually behaves nicely and drops it right there on top of that layer. Creating a new layer stacking position is a little more of a random thing, at least for me. I try to create all of the layers I think I'll need from the get go based on a sketch, name them and then get rolling for a more predictable experience. ;)

Again, great work!!

Thanks, glad you like. It was a bit of a rush and could have done a few bits better if I had more time, especially the tree trunks on the right, bit crappy. I will go back and sort the bits out I'm not happy with. Was going to the other weekend but didn't end up having the time.

I still don't get on with the layers palette, don't think I ever will, but I can put up with it but I still utter the the odd swear word.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Yeah, especially if you switch back and forth between illustrator and designer like I do. Kind of like speaking 2 languages and trying to find that damn word that fits what you're trying to say... 

Lovely work, very subtle reflections and a lot of detail.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• 2 months later...

GTI=God That's Incredible!B|

AD still hasn't reached 2.0 yet and already the details like your registration plate, rear light cluster and rear lock really make me look twice, thrice and I still can't decide if Affinity CAD really exists:P, as the boundaries are becoming blurred between the worlds of vector, bitmap, and CGI/CAD.

The work in the form is getting better and better.

Peter

PS

Never mind having a larger garage for all of these wonderful vehicle, this forum will soon need a multi-storey car park to house them all!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

14 minutes ago, peter said:

this forum will soon need a multi-storey car park

I'm sure there's one of those floating around here somewhere, Peter! I have a vague recollection of seeing a nice isometric drawing that someone posted a year or two ago.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I like this one too. The Golf hasn't any blurs but still looks fairly realistic, everyone thinks it's a photo when they see it on my pc. I didn't really know how to simplify the lights, so just did them and they looked OK. I also like where I did the body in one global colour and everything's blend modes. Was more work but I like loading it up occasionally and just changing the colour. I've tidied up the background recently. All in all it might be my favourite car that I've done, the Ferrari and Jag were more and loads more work but I just like this.

I'm planning another, from the front, a standard GTI, and some sort of background which I'll do after I finish the one I'm working on.

Oh and I actually own a red MK1 GTI, it's Dilbert as the reg starts DLB.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 4 years later...
18 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Thanks. It was a bit of a rush, I did make the background less awful a time back but didn’t update the post.

Shall say it again here. The rough background via contrast only makes the GTI closer to perfect.