You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Baby Portrait - Photorealistic AD Vector

tinpixel

Affinity Designer vector illustration of my daughter at 19-days old.

No pixels or vector brushes used here, just good old fashioned strokes and filled paths. Masks, transparency tool, layer FX and blend modes used where needed and a couple of adjustment layers to tweak the colours at the end.

I'd guess there's around 2,000 elements make up this image - around 500 are individually positioned head hairs, and many of the individual wool strands are actually three strokes twisted together too which ups the object count. With all the blurs and depth of field stuff, it nearly kills my MacBook and takes a good 20+ seconds for the screen to redraw after every zoom or edit on high quality view settings - spent a lot of time in wireframe and low quality mode at the end. When I get a faster Mac, I'd like to add some of the less important detail that's missing to make it more convincing  (e.g. the almost invisible eyebrow hairs, more detail to eyes etc.) and tweak some of the bits that are annoying me.

No idea how long it took as I've been working on it on and off in my spare time (which is practically non-existent with a baby) since December - I'd estimate 30-50 hours.

Anyway, hope you like it!

Little Vesper.jpg

Little Vesper Wireframe.png

Hi Tinpixel,

I am speechless this time...absolutely brilliant piece of work...and visually worth all the time and effort.....thank you for sharing this masterpiece!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

51 minutes ago, MattP said:

...and of course, congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! Everyone was so dumbfounded we obviously forgot to mention that!!! 

Oops, yes! Absolutely!!

51 minutes ago, MattP said:

(Currently marching my 10-month old daughter around in the pram while she snoozes - and I am amazed you’ve found time to create this piece of sorcery!!!)

Congratulations to you too, Matt! I didn't know your son had a younger sibling now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 27/08/2017 at 8:03 AM, dutchshader said:

Defenitly one for the promo

It's a really excellent work in progress and definately will be for 1.7 when it's finished but at the moment it's in between, not one thing or another. Not yet  photo-realistic and not what you think as standard vector illustration either. Not meant to sound negative, he says he wants to do more work on it.

Thanks to all of you for taking time to comment, I really appreciate your feedback and kind words.

13 hours ago, Orville said:

It's a really excellent work in progress and definately will be for 1.7 when it's finished but at the moment it's in between, not one thing or another. Not yet  photo-realistic and not what you think as standard vector illustration either. Not meant to sound negative, he says he wants to do more work on it.

I appreciate your honesty. Whilst it has fooled a few people into thinking it was a photo, it's far from perfect.

One of the big problems I have is getting so focussed on the bit I'm doing, that it's difficult to see the entire thing. For example, I might be so caught up getting an eye to look right, that I don't notice that it's too big, or out of position in realtion to the rest - then I have a decent break from looking at it and go back later, see how bad it looks and correct it. I actually did submit this for the featured work promo so had to do as much as possible over the past couple of weeks, around looking after my daughter and other stuff (I'm currently a full-time dad as my wife has returned to work), so time wasn't a luxury for me unfortunately and I definately had to get it to a point that it was at least a consistent quality (as opposed to hyper realistic eyes, but less convincing else where, for example.)

Of course, I'm now seeing more and more things that would improve it; tweaks to depth of field, refined shading and shapes, additional detail etc. and, of course, much better colour. I tend to beat myself up about these things but I'm still very proud of what I've acheived.

On 26/08/2017 at 1:53 PM, MattP said:

...and of course, congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! Everyone was so dumbfounded we obviously forgot to mention that!!! 

(Currently marching my 10-month old daughter around in the pram while she snoozes - and I am amazed you’ve found time to create this piece of sorcery!!!)

Thank you - and congratulations to you too. My daughter is now coming up to a year old in September and, as rewarding as being a dad is, many of my other hobbies are distant memories, so try to draw when I can.

I've had several occasions this last two weeks where I've been sat in bed at midnight, in the dark, with my MacBook and trackpad - trying to finish this well enough for the promo deadline whilst not waking my daughter. The highlight definately being on Friday (deadline day) with her asleep on me at my desk/kitchen table, having to stretch my arms around her to reach the keyboard/mouse, praying she would stay asleep long enough!

The struggle is most definately real!

This amazes me to unknown limits! I hope people at Serif consider this for the 1.6 launch campaign.

Incredible work, and like everyone else here: congratulations!

Best regards.

On 26/08/2017 at 7:52 AM, tinpixel said:

Affinity Designer vector illustration of my daughter at 19-days old.

No pixels or vector brushes used here, just good old fashioned strokes and filled paths. Masks, transparency tool, layer FX and blend modes used where needed and a couple of adjustment layers to tweak the colours at the end.

I'd guess there's around 2,000 elements make up this image - around 500 are individually positioned head hairs, and many of the individual wool strands are actually three strokes twisted together too which ups the object count. With all the blurs and depth of field stuff, it nearly kills my MacBook and takes a good 20+ seconds for the screen to redraw after every zoom or edit on high quality view settings - spent a lot of time in wireframe and low quality mode at the end. When I get a faster Mac, I'd like to add some of the less important detail that's missing to make it more convincing  (e.g. the almost invisible eyebrow hairs, more detail to eyes etc.) and tweak some of the bits that are annoying me.

No idea how long it took as I've been working on it on and off in my spare time (which is practically non-existent with a baby) since December - I'd estimate 30-50 hours.

Anyway, hope you like it!

Little Vesper.jpg

Little Vesper Wireframe.png

Oh man! It's very beautiful.

Congratulations!!!

I have a Facebook group here in Brazil (Affinitiy Designer BR), about Affinitiy Designer,

and I plan to launch a fanpage later this month as well. Will you allow me to post your art there for the followers?

Obviously giving you all the credit for the creation.

See you later! ;)

2 hours ago, deividtavares said:

Oh man! It's very beautiful.

Congratulations!!!

I have a Facebook group here in Brazil (Affinitiy Designer BR), about Affinitiy Designer,

and I plan to launch a fanpage later this month as well. Will you allow me to post your art there for the followers?

Obviously giving you all the credit for the creation.

See you later! ;)

Thank you!

I don't mind at all. As long as the title and my name isn't removed from the image, I'm happy for anyone to share it.

Hopefully it will help inspire your group and maybe get a few more people to try Affinity!

:)

8 minutes ago, tinpixel said:

Thank you!

I don't mind at all. As long as the title and my name isn't removed from the image, I'm happy for anyone to share it.

Hopefully it will help inspire your group and maybe get a few more people to try Affinity!

:)

Of course!

It was very beautiful indeed.

I'll post and give you due credit.

Thanks! Big hug.

See you. ;)

That is truly amazing.  I have tried off and on for a few years to draw a face that does not look like a cartoon.  Each time I give up.  Anything half as good as what you've done would have thrilled me.  You have a very good eye to pick out the nuances between vector elements.  Outstanding work.

Congratulations on the arrival of Vesper.  May your life experiences with him be even more amazing.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 2 weeks later...