You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.81

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed startup crashes
  • Fixed application hangs (Not Responding)
  • Improved performance of document render when dragging out a new object
  • Fixed hang when dragging by frame text with snapping enabled
  • Fixed crash reporter failing to generate crash reports
  • Fixed failure to edit a Global Colour Fill that is not already applied
  • Fixed being unable to change matte colour on export 
  • Fixed Export Preset not being remembered
  • Fixed setting blend mode for bevel and emboss preventing file from saving 
  • Fixed Global Colours importing to Application Palettes incorrectly
  • Fixed Colour well incorrectly showing colour when using Greyscale
  • Added missing boolean operation menu in the Layers panel
  • Fixed EPS load crash
  • Added rotation of nodes in NodeTool
  • Fixed occasional failure to finish loading files
  • Fixed PDF import never completing when they contain tile patterns
  • Further improvements to stroke expansion
  • Improved error reporting in installer
  • Fixed Path text to support changing baseline for multiple lines
  • Improved the way we load ICC and WCS profiles so WCS profiles give a better description
  • Fixed PDF import crash
  • Disabled Radial Controller support (i.e. Dial) unless the --radial-controller flag is passed on the command line

It would also be great if you could select using the node tool (which you can) multiple nodes then move them all. Presently, you can select multiple nodes but not move them together, which makes me wonder why is it possible at all to select multiple nodes...

This is an issue throughout versions.

8 minutes ago, Ian R said:

It would also be great if you could select using the node tool (which you can) multiple nodes then move them all. Presently, you can select multiple nodes but not move them together, which makes me wonder why is it possible at all to select multiple nodes...

This is an issue throughout versions.

Works for me...unless I am misunderstanding you.

I carn select multiple nodes and move them wth the mouse, even rotate with left and right mb

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

I carn select multiple nodes and move them wth the mouse, even rotate with left and right mb

So I've just tried again and I can indeed do this. Inconsistent, something which I've come up against time and time again, and mentioned also. It makes it hard to test aspects when they sometimes work and sometimes not.

Thanks for the quick reply. Now there's only one thing left for me that I hope you'll consider soon...multiple open swatch palettes.Currently, you can only open one swatch at a time. This isn't practical if one needs to work on different color values especially if you've saved different palettes and need to see the colors before applying them to the object. 

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:
  • Added rotation of nodes in NodeTool

Thankyou for another Beta Version.

What exactly does this 'rotation of nodes' do and how do I apply it? I could not find any command nor any description in the helpfile. Perhaps I did not look long enough. Thanks.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

46 minutes ago, dominik said:

What exactly does this 'rotation of nodes' do and how do I apply it?

Select some nodes with the Node Tool and then observe the effect when you use the Rotation control in the Transform panel. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Select some nodes with the Node Tool and then observe the effect when you use the Rotation control in the Transform panel. :)

Thank you very much. I selected just a single node. I missed the plural 's' in 'nodes:$

All is fine now.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 hours ago, dutchshader said:

I can rotate with the transform panel, but not with the mouse... how did you achieve this?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

9 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

I can rotate with the transform panel, but not with the mouse... how did you achieve this?

select nodes and drag with left and right mouse button pressed

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 hours ago, dutchshader said:

I wish they would change that, or at least provide an alternative! I can't press both buttons at the same time on this laptop, unless I have my trackball attached.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, dutchshader said:

That is what I tried... see GIF.

59a2f090320d1_AffinityRotateNodes.gif.bf898ce65cd9af66e0b1df6b67b5d201.gif

• Select 3 nodes
  • Drag with Left mouse button: the selected nodes move (as expected)
  • Drag with Left + Right mouse buttons: the node type changes to Sharp, then the nodes move but not the handles.
  • Undo (to return to original shape)
  • Now use the Transform panel: the nodes do indeed Rotate

So what are you doing differently?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

looks like with the mouse buttons pressed the node is rotating around the handles, i could not find out what the rotation point is when using the transform panel.

also when i use the transform panel the rotation is gone a soon as i click on one of the nodes.

Razer Tartarus Chroma