You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No indication that it's opening/importing large files.

One of the issues that I've been encountering is, dragging a large file (14mb PDF) onto the dock icon to open and there is no indication that the program is actually reading/opening the file. I wait a bit and try again, because there is no new window or tab in Designer, no alert dialog, etc. I try to quit thinking it's a bug, but then a dialog does pop up saying something like... can't quit program, still opening file.

So maybe a dialog that says opening file... or some kind of indication that the program is doing something, so I don't force quit thinking the program crashed.

I'm running macOS 10.12.6 with Affinity Designer 1.6.0 (Beta 8). I've also experienced the same issue on Affinity Photo Beta 1.6.4 (Beta 4).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
macOS 10.15.4 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 570 4 GB

23 hours ago, MEB said:

There should be a message in the application title bar saying Loading 1 document.

No, stldoug tried to make an improvement suggestion, because there is no title bar (no document window) when using the app icon. So can we get “some kind of indication” or a new document window before the doc is converted, please?

Unlike Photoshop for example, Affinity Designer does not block the UI when loading a document, and I think it's great.

I open large files (+200MB) and I can check whether they are loading or not in the application titlebar.

It's great most of the time but as I work 99% of the time in fullscreen mode, this information is kind of invisible :P

In this case, the titlebar and the dock icon is not really a good place to put that information because they're simply not visible in fullscreen mode.

Anyway, this is not really a problem for me, if it's too long I just have to check the titlebar ^_^

23 minutes ago, Tekikou said:

Anyway, this is not really a problem [for me], if it's too long I just have to check the titlebar ^_^

That is not working for people that use the app icon (“dragging files onto”), because there is no titlebar while converting.

Hi All

I believe the team did not want to impede work on any already open file by having some sort of popup appearing over everything. It has been noted a long time ago that without the application window being open already there is no feedback, which is also an issue in separated mode. I think there is still some improvement to be had here though but the best option will need some careful consideration

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 4 months later...

hi i problem with loading more files in affinity designer/photo. when i try open more files together affinity program's freeze. i work on macbook PRO mid. 2010 OS High Sierra. this problem is resolved when i close "force quit" affinity designer/photo, and after again i open this program, but i muss open each files particularly. thank's for your's help for me.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Yellow said:

hi i problem with loading more files in affinity designer/photo. when i try open more files together affinity program's freeze. i work on macbook PRO mid. 2010 OS High Sierra. this problem is resolved when i close "force quit" affinity designer/photo, and after again i open this program, but i muss open each files particularly. thank's for your's help for me.

Hey Yellow, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

This is fixed in the betas. I would recommend downloading them and trying them out. 

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Yellow, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

This is fixed in the betas. I would recommend downloading them and trying them out. 

thank's and when is this issue implement in full version?

• Staff
1 minute ago, Yellow said:

thank's and when is this issue implement in full version?

Once we are happy that the beta hasn't broken anything and the fixes are confirmed. I'm not sure when that may be in all honesty. If it is imperative that you open multiple files at once, you can use the beta for just that. You should be cautious about working in a beta so don't open existing files in it but you should be OK to work on the odd new project. Just be vigilant and save your work often.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

Once we are happy that the beta hasn't broken anything and the fixes are confirmed. I'm not sure when that may be in all honesty. If it is imperative that you open multiple files at once, you can use the beta for just that. You should be cautious about working in a beta so don't open existing files in it but you should be OK to work on the odd new project. Just be vigilant and save your work often.

ok i wait. this is not imperative for me. but somtimes is "pesky" :) thank's.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.