You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D app tools for 2D shapes

Hi,

I would like something along what 3D apps offer which in this case is a more intuitive method of making advanced shapes. For the sake of keeping it simple will stick with only 2D results.

Will start with a history mode for shapes to be able to make changes interactively to any setting without losing forward changes.

For example you have the extrude tool which drags the edge and makes another adjacent polygon. You also have the inset tool which makes an inner or outer copy(yes you could copy the shape and scale it down manually but then you would loose the history mode). Or the add loop tool which adds a subdivision across a loop or ring edges (3D terminology). Or the bridge tool which let's you bridge 2 edges, add more subdivisions and influence shape. Then you also have the array tool(sometimes called a clone tool) either linear or circular. You also have the weld and merge tools which allows you to interactively merge points. And there are others that could be mentioned. 

Just some ideas :)

Thanks

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

I think anything that could be classed as an advanced shape would pretty much break history anyway, it has some uses if you are creating parametric type objects but for anything else its limited. Although some 3d software has robust history, advanced modelers such as modo have no concept of history and they not exactly lacking.

I think there may be some use for history but to me it just seems like overkill for 2d vectors. Of course I reserve the right to be utterly wrong!

Well history would be nice for sure. But my main interest is in the tools themselves.

And I know Modo doesn't have a history. I am using it ;)

But blender which I also use does have modifiers which are parametric. Very useful in many situations.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

But blender which I also use does have modifiers which are parametric. Very useful in many situations.

Agreed!

If there could be one carry over from 3d software, for me it would be Rhinos snapping functions, the best there is in my opinion.

Perhaps the ability to distort shapes using noise deformers as well would be great.