You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A reworking of another old illustration image in AD. Turns out I did the whole thing in CMYK and had to convert to RGB for web display at the end. I tried converting the AD file to RGB and it looked horrible (the colours suddenly looked too bright and unsubtle), so I didn't save it. It worked better when I converted the finished JPEB in AP. Would that be the proper way to convert?

170825 Big Fish Little Fish_lo_watermark.jpg

Edited by kevinmcsherry
Typo

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Kevin McSherry: Creative. Art  :  Illustration  :  Design
The Studio, 17 Aideen Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W.  Ireland
+353 (0)86 247 0737   www.mcsherry.ie

160604_35%2Bicon%2Baffinity.jpg

• Staff

This looks awesome! :80_smile_cat:

With regards to converting, you should have been able to just convert in AD's Document Setup and it should've worked... If you can send me a file that shows the problem then I can look at it? Just send anything to support@seriflabs.com and I'll pick it up and use it to debug this problem, then delete again afterwards :)

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt ,

In fact, I did convert in document setup and that's where I found the changeover of colour space jarring. I'm not absolutely clear on why this happens but I did read somewhere that RGB doesn't have the range of colour that CMYK does. I've attached a comparison screenshot. CMYK at left and RGB at right. I don't think this is a problem with AD -it's just choosing which space to work in?

Looks like I should be working in CMYK...I'm more used to acrylics!

I'll get there. All the best,

Kevin

Big fish comparison.jpg

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

On 25/08/2017 at 0:24 PM, kevinmcsherry said:

A reworking of another old illustration image in AD. Turns out I did the whole thing in CMYK and had to convert to RGB for web display at the end. I tried converting the AD file to RGB and it looked horrible (the colours suddenly looked too bright and unsubtle), so I didn't save it.

Bright RGB colours will become dull when converted to CMYK, but I wouldn't expect dull CMYK colours to become bright when converted in the opposite direction.

23 hours ago, kevinmcsherry said:

I did read somewhere that RGB doesn't have the range of colour that CMYK does

It's t'other way around, Kevin. CMYK has a (much) smaller gamut than RGB, which is why bright colours become dull on conversion; Hexachrome (CMYKOG) was developed to address this problem, with bright orange and green added to the mix.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

It’s possible that you’re suffering from blendmodes acting differently in RGB vs CMYK? Without looking at the file I’m just guessing, but ultimately if you’re able to work and get the results you’re after then that’s good :) Conversion to RGB at output stage will render the document in CMYK then convert the result so it won’t be affected by blendmodes acting differently in the document draw 

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

@MEP. It's going to take a bit of getting used to. 

@Alfred. I'll have to look into Hexachrome, I would never have considered using it as I didn't know about it at all! 

All in all; much more reading to do. Is this topic covered in the AD book, by the way?

Kevin