You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just got AP and first impressions are v good (previously years of Photoshop use).

Tried processing my first raw file however and the image has a dark vignette at the corners.

Never had this problem in Photoshop so am initially surprised and at a loss as to what is causing it. Previews ok on my mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if this is posted in wrong section - am first time poster. Also am I correct in assuming there's no direct support, as I just got directed to the forums when I clicked on the support tab?

I've attached a small jpeg of the file in question.

rawvignettesmalljpegimage.jpg

• Staff

Hi iandreams,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Does the pixel dimensions of the image in Affinity Photo are larger than when you open it in Photoshop and other software? If so, that's because Affinity Photo's default RAW engine (Serif Labs) displays the full sensor data rather than the dimensions suggested by the camera manufacturer which discard the unreliable data/parts from the sensor. If you are using a Mac and change the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW) instead, it should load the image as you are expecting (no unreliable data and regular pixel dimensions). To change the RAW engine used by Affinity Photo go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager (in Develop Persona) and change the first dropdown to Apple (Core Image RAW).

If the dimensions are the same then there may be some issue when we import the RAW image. Which camera model/RAW format are you using?

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your quick response.

I changed the RAW engine as you suggested and it fixed the problem.

I have to say that my first impressions of Affinity Photo are excellent: as a former Photoshop user of several years I think that AP looks simply gorgeous, and the layout & functions feel just right. Of course I'll have to start the learning curve again as I try to get my head around how to do things with AP that I've taken for granted over the years with Photoshop, but I've got no doubt that I'll enjoy AP much more.

Thank you again.

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, david alano said:

hello, I am also having an unexpected vignetting issue when importing my images. I have tried to look how to change my settings but I can't quite find what you are suggesting. I am using affinity designer. please help

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First, what do you mean by "importing"? Are you Opening them, or Placing them into a document. Next, what kind of images are they (JPG, TIFF, some RAW format)?

If they're RAW images, the previous discussion is about Affinity Photo, which has functions for Developing RAW images, including vignette removal. Designer does not have those functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...

Hello,

unfortunately I also have a problem with the trial version of Affinity Photo 2 Windows and raw photos from the iphone 13 (without pro). I transfer my raws (.dng) to my computer via WLAN. Then I open them in AP 2 with "file/open". The raws all have a vignette, are darker in the corners and are pale and hazy overall. I can only select Serif Labs as the raw engine, there is no other option (i.e. not even Core Image Raw). In Xnview and Photoshop CS5, the raws are displayed completely normally.

What could I do?

Greetings from the Ruhrpott :-)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Ruhrpottmann. :)

On 2/13/2024 at 6:09 PM, Ruhrpottmann said:

a problem with the trial version of Affinity Photo 2 Windows

You’ve posted to a very old thread in the ‘Pre-V2 Archive’ section.

On 2/13/2024 at 6:09 PM, Ruhrpottmann said:

I can only select Serif Labs as the raw engine, there is no other option (i.e. not even Core Image Raw).

Apple Core Image Raw is only available on macOS, not Windows.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, Ruhrpottmann said:

Schade, keine Antwort, auch nicht vom Staff. Bin ich hier eventuell im falschen Topic?

Staff member @MEB isn’t currently following this archived topic. Perhaps he will move our posts and provide a response now that I’ve tagged him.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi @Ruhrpottmann,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind sharing a RAW/dng file from your iPhone 13 with us please? Version 2.4 (which will should be be released soon) have improved iPhone RAW support and should read the files properly but I would like to double-check with a sample from you to ensure any issues (vignetting) are indeed fixed before the official release. Thank you.