You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Flood Selection Tool

I was trying to duplicate the steps in a Serif-produced Affinity photo editing video and could not.

The Flood Select tool would not allow me to Add. The values I chose for Tolerance change as soon as I try to apply the "cross-hair" icon, and for as many times as I have tried to use this tool, the Tolerance values that "Add" drops down to are always very low. 

I have added screenshots of the Tolerance values I set--and then the Tolerance values Affinity drops down to when I click to begin Adding. The end result is that I can't use the Flood Select tool the way the presenter did--to "grab" all the areas he wished to work on.

599f42366639c_SerifPearGreenChair2.thumb.png.35a1e9470de0dd053554794c02d7ac2c.png

Serif Pear Green Chair #1.png

I must admit I've had a few issues with the way this tool works. Partly because of using a tablet.

It works in two ways, sort of.

1 Click and drag and it starts at 0% and increases as you drag right. As you discovered, not easy to get it how you want.

2 Enter a value, like 20%. Then click. Do not move the mouse or it will revert to 0% again. You can play around with contiguous and keep clicking if Add is on. Add to the tricky bits with the selection brush or freehand tool as you go along. You can swap between tools as long as Add is selected in each.

To be honest, the Flood Select it is not much use by dragging except for selecting sky. I don't use it much. I normally use the selection brush tool. That is good!

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

11 hours ago, toltec said:

I must admit I've had a few issues with the way this tool works. Partly because of using a tablet.

1 Click and drag and it starts at 0% and increases as you drag right. As you discovered, not easy to get it how you want.

2 Enter a value, like 20%. Then click. Do not move the mouse or it will revert to 0% again. You can play around with contiguous and keep clicking if Add is on. Add to the tricky bits with the selection brush or freehand tool as you go along. You can swap between tools as long as Add is selected in each.

To be honest, the Flood Select it is not much use by dragging except for selecting sky. I don't use it much. I normally use the selection brush tool. That is good!

WHAT? xD Shirley, you joke. Or not--because that's exactly what (I guess?) happens. Should I talk to it? (Just kidding.) The presenter in the video devotes I think 4.5 seconds to this Tool, and honestly, this is just... Why make a video at all? I solved the problem by using the Flood Select Tool and then "finishing the job" with the Selection Brush. Affinity should get rid of this Tool (and all videos that reference it). 

• 4 months later...
On 25/08/2017 at 5:52 PM, toltec said:

Glad to help. And don't call me Shirley ;)

On 25/08/2017 at 1:09 PM, American said:

WHAT? xD Shirley, you joke. Or not--because that's exactly what (I guess?) happens. Should I talk to it? (Just kidding.) The presenter in the video devotes I think 4.5 seconds to this Tool, and honestly, this is just... Why make a video at all? I solved the problem by using the Flood Select Tool and then "finishing the job" with the Selection Brush. Affinity should get rid of this Tool (and all videos that reference it). 

On 25/08/2017 at 1:52 AM, toltec said:

Thanks for the tip, I had the same issues with the flood tool and follwing your advice I managed to do what I wanted. There should be an option to lock the tolerance.