You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding New Layers

In AD a new vector layer is automatically added to the top of the layers palette, whereas a new pixel layer is added directly above the currently selected layer. Not sure of the logic but it would be perhaps good to have the following:

Clicking either the 'Add Layer' or 'Add Pixel Layer' icons automatically adds the new layer to the top of the layer stack, Option (⌥) clicking either icon automatically adds the new layer above the currently selected layer and Command (⌘) clicking either icon automatically adds the new layer to the bottom of the layer stack.

Obviously, the same ability for adding a new pixel layer to the bottom of the layer stack in AP would be great too.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

This is just a little something that didn't make sense to me either. Talking about vector layers, if you have the most top layer selected, then I get that it makes sense to create a new layer above. If you have a curve inside the layer selected and add a new layer, then I would think it would make more sense to create a new layer inside that one. However, if you already have a layer inside another layer, then adding a third will place it above the nested one. I think where ever the selection is should decide the layer order whether it's vector or pixel. That's my feedback.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Screenshot_2017-08-24-21-32-01.png.94107c041d255f952ecd68f15a76fa26.png

This will not help you?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hello Psenda and welcome to the forum.

Those three options are for pasting. Having either one selected while creating a new layer will not add it in the given order, but that would be a great idea. This small issue of the ordering does get annoying.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 year later...

Only bumping this because I was running into this issue and was about to add my voice to this topic. But then I tried the AD beta ...

Thank fully it seems that the latest beta 1.7.0.4, has made it so new layers appear above the selected layer! Sweet! Looking forward for when this comes out of beta.