You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand overlap to separate entity fills for easy cutting away

Hey everyone,
I've been trying to do more of my regular workflow in Designer and get away from Illustrator as much as possible - can someone point me to a tutorial or explain to me how this task is accomplished in Designer? 
In Illustrator, I trace over my original sketch layer with strokes that purposefully overlap each other. When completed, I select them all together and expand them to fills and then use the "live paint"option to convert them to separate pieces that begin and end where they overlap - so then I can deselect and use the white arrow tool to click on each overlapping piece I don't want and delete. I included a picture from Illustrator showing the overlapping technique and the individualized pieces.
Im not sure what to call this technique, so its been hard to look up - any help is appreciated!

thank you!

Mat

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 11.00.35 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you Leigh - Your tip did work perfectly. I'm wondering if selecting all the overlapping pieces and hitting "divide" from the top right section of the screen creates the same effect. Any idea if one option is better than the other? Is it the same function for both, but one is an easy button to hit versus going to the menu? I'll look into that as well. 
So after dividing and then deleting the overlapping excess, I grabbed the remaining pieces intended to be one piece, and hit "add" from the same grouping of buttons as before... but this left debris inside the newly united shape. Any thoughts on solving that? I attached some pics Thanks for your help so far - overall this is very promising and looks more and more like I can accomplish all I need to in AD instead of Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.43.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.41.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 12.39.21 PM.png