You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I open a PDF file?

Hi PatrikSelin,

I tried this myself with a one page PDF at hand. If I open the PDF with AP's 'Open' command I get a result similar to your's. There are error messages about missing fonts. Everythink looks misarranged.

I was able to open PDFs created by Adobe Illustrator with better results. But this won't help.

In your case I suggest the following:

1. Create a new document with the size of the form. It will be most likely one of the standard formats like 'A4' or 'Legal'.
  2. From the 'File' menu select 'Place' and navigate to the storage location of the form. Select it and click 'Open'.
  3. After a moment the cursor turns into a different symbol (with an arrow and blueish circle). Click once on the page.
  4. The PDF get's placed on your new document. Most likely you have to move it around to align it to fit it into your document.

This way AP and AD do a much better job in displaying PDF documents.

Next you can type in your information above the placed PDF and export afterwards.

I hope this works for you.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

This usually happens when the PDF uses fonts that are not installed on your computer. The PDF may have the fonts embedded, but unfortunately Affinity cannot use those yet. The only solution is to either install the missing fonts, or else rework the text. Using an embedded document shouldn't make any difference.

2 hours ago, PatrikSelin said:

Why is it not possible to open PDFs as flattened?

In some way 'placing' a PDF is flattening the document. You can even double click on the PDF and edit it. And it looks much better.

It is not perfect but should get the job done, in regard to your form :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 25/08/2017 at 5:04 PM, PatrikSelin said:

Why is it not possible to open PDFs as flattened?

Because most PDFs don't include a simple bitmap or vector representation of themselves. In order to get any image at all, we have to decode it into something we can understand. In which case, turning it into objects doesn't lose anything. If you just want to avoid editing it accidentally, placing it should suffice.

On 25/08/2017 at 5:05 PM, Sima said:

Does that mean this is indeed a bug?

Yes. It shouldn't ignore the font you told it to use.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.