You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity Photo read .xmp files created by Adobe Camera Raw?

On 8/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, timcorinphoto said:

I downloaded Affinity Photo last year (2017) after my Adobe PS+LR subscription expired. AP has been great, but there’s one thing I’d love AP to implement. I have many RAW files that I previously processed with Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom. These RAW files have the sidecar .xmp files, which contain information on all the edits I made in ACR. Though uncommon, there are times when I’d like to export or convert a RAW to a JPEG without re-editing them, and simply use the edits I’d made in ACR. But since I can no longer use any of Adobe's programs, I can’t use them to process these files. Does AP have the option to read .xmp files and apply these edits?

It seems to me that Bridge CC works without a subscription. It also can open ACR which can then save files as PSD which can be opened by Affinity. 

15 hours ago, DeepScience said:

It seems to me that Bridge CC works without a subscription. It also can open ACR which can then save files as PSD which can be opened by Affinity. 

According to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/faq.html:

Can I access my images in Lightroom Classic CC on desktop after my membership ends?

Lightroom Classic CC on desktop will continue to launch and allow access to your files after your membership ends. However, the Develop and Map modules are disabled. Also, after your membership ends, synchronization with Lightroom CC on mobile devices will no longer function.

I've read elsewhere that this means that images can still be exported, and even minimally edited by using Quick Develop in the Library Module.  So have you tried exporting JPEG/TIFF from your expired LR and opening these in AP?  If this works, you'd not need Bridge CC.

As for any non-Adobe software reading and applying LR/ACR edits, this is unlikely to happen since, as discussed earlier in this thread, this would require use of Adobe's licensed intellectual property.

• 1 year later...

There are several non adobe applications that read and use the adobe xmp file metadata.  

I’m  hoping for an update on when Affinity photo will join the fray. 

Darktable, Capture One Pro, and On 1 Photo Raw already read Lightroom meta data in xmp files, and implement some of those Lightroom edits in their own software. 

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

Is there any update on this, at all?

No.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody!

...Just wrote to Affinity about this topic:

"Good morning,
I’m writing because i have a big important suggestion to ask:
XMP (Side car non destructive editing profile )is a must have for professional RAW editing!!!!
Yes, i also want to move out of Adobe claws, but this way is difficult!
Small details is what really distinguish pros from amateurs...
Please implement this feature ASAP!!!
It’s sad that i need to download third party app to do that (like Darktable for example)
Also, when correcting the perspective and lens distortions, please implement a more fast way to do it, like in Adobe camera raw, we have the option to drag lines according to the picture instead of using only sliders.
I think we could not ask everything in such “young” software (compared to Adobe age…) but i believe that (if Adobe don’t buy Serif meanwhile…) we can get there. 
As so, to prove that, i’ve already make my part and i’ve bought Photo and Designer."

We need this fast implemented!

...Likewise, blend tool for Designer...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

handling the XMP sidecar file created by any other program (Adobe Bridge, Daminion...) is a must have for me because the metadata of the RAW file are in the sidecar XMP and not in the original RAW. I don't mean development settings written e.g. by ACR.

What happens now using: File->New Batch Job...-> All XMP metadata tags of the XMP sidecar file, e.g. <dc:description>, <dc:title>,  <dc:subject>, <photoshop:Country>, <Iptc4xmpCore:Location>, <tiff:Make>, <lr:hierarchicalSubject>, are not in the exported JPG file.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Uwe

20191229_113807.jpg