You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a "view hot and cold areas" mode for Photo?

Hello All.  Long time lurker, now trying to get a bit more serious with the current production version of Affinity Photo on my Mac.

Apple's Aperture has a "Show hot and cold areas in your photos" viewing mode.  It's a convenient way to highlight areas at the extremes of  exposure, allowing you to pull back adjustments just enough, for example.  Is there a similar viewing mode available in Affinity Photo?  I've had a look and I don't think there is anything close to this - but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Here's a quick with/without example.  On the right, the red indicates areas which are blown out and the blue shows areas of near total darkness.599dfd0b28e98_hotcoldexample.thumb.jpg.3418d1fcb183735d00565aea75da7a6e.jpg

Cheers,

Gary

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Hi jhoy

Great, thanks very much.  I hadn't thought to look there.  I've not picked up a serious camera in a long time, so the total time I've spent in the Develop Persona up until now is vanishingly small.  Also, the majority of the images I'll be working with over the coming weeks will be produced from my scanner – not even a camera.

Pity there are no keyboard shortcuts or even just the ability to record the required clicks in a macro but, apart from that, it looks as if it's what I was looking for.  Right - onwards and upwards!

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

when you use the levels adjustment 

you press the alt key and get clipping warnings for shadows and highlights 

(and you can record levels adjustment as a macro)

here is the corresponding official help file

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Adjustments/adjustment_levels.html

not available in curves though sadly https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22624-curves-and-blend-if-picker-size-visibility/#comment-106288

cheers

Hi MBd  - I know that one, but thanks anyway.  (My last version of Photoshop was CS3 (from 2007, wow!), which finally gave up the ghost something like three or so years ago.  I suspect the Levels trick was old even when CS3 came out.)  I agree, it's a really, really useful trick – and I share your frustration that it's missing from Curves.  :(

—— Gary ——

1 hour ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi MBd  - I know that one, but thanks anyway.  (My last version of Photoshop was CS3 (from 2007, wow!), which finally gave up the ghost something like three or so years ago.  I suspect the Levels trick was old even when CS3 came out.)  I agree, it's a really, really useful trick – and I share your frustration that it's missing from Curves.  :(

appreciate that :11_blush:

another frustration is that the preview trick of PS in the unsharp mask filter is not available in Affinity Photo (no, difference blend mode does not cut it)