You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlay Brush in Develop Persona

Hey y'all,

loving this program still!

i only recently started to shoot in RAW thus the develop persona is new to me. I am wondering about the efficacy of the overlay brush vs the selection brush in the photo persona. 

I was developing a photo with my parents under a canopy in the foreground. The background was quite bright and my parents were very dark. After painstaking colouring over my parents with the red colour overlay brush I was able to select them and boost the brightness etc significantly to make a nice photo. It's amazing what I could recover from the RAW file. Anyways, I had a few thoughts about the overlay brush that I wanted to run by you here because I found it time consuming and difficult to use. 

First, is there a way to undo a mistake other than using the undo button? With the selection brush you can hold down option and then deselect what you didn't mean to select. Is there something similar for the overlay brush?

Similarly, it took me forever to make the selection. After the adjustments there were artifacts everywhere as if my parents had new tattoos. These were the small gaps where my selection wasn't perfectly painted over. 

From my perspective I'm not clear why the overlay brush is used in the development persona. To me the selection brush is a lot faster and easier to use. 

Am i missing something here and making things harder than they need to be? I feel like I could have done a better and quicker job with the selection brush. 

thanks a lot