You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush Tool has become invisible

My paint brush tool has suddenly gone invisible.  I was mid way through a sketch and suddenly it stopped producing lines that I can see, although the history box is still recording that I am using the paint brush tool, so Affinity clearing thinks I am still creating something.  I thought maybe I'd accidentally changed the colour to "transparent", but that's not the case.  I've tried changing it to different brushes and colours but I just can't see anything.  My vector drawing tools still show up if I use those.  I restarted Affinity and that hasn't helped, either...any ideas on what I might do to resolve this would be awesome.  Thanks!

• Staff
You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Often, this is because no pixel layer is selected, so there nothing for the brush to paint on. There is an option in the Assistant Manager to automatically add a new pixel layer for the paint when this happens:

599e8b51bd742_assistantadd.png.2b2e341d0fde71dbcf2368ebe87652c1.png

However, it can also be set to "Take no action" & the assistant must be enabled (red arrow) or it won't do anything.

So before resetting anything, I suggest either using the Assistant manager option or making sure you have a pixel layer selected when using a pixel brush.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You may have a small / hidden selection active

Hit CTRL+D to eliminate that possibility

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Nada said:

Having the same issue here as well 

Have you tried the fix suggested by @DWright ?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7