You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Squircle option for corner radius

How about ...just ...would it be possible to develop compatibility with sketch plugins? Then we simply get a massive number of plugins and a framework for extending/automating the product even more. Lot's of tools like PS, can already use universal plugins available to a lot's of different photo editing platforms. I realize this would mean creating a wrapper to the sketch development api http://developer.sketchapp.com/reference/api/ but wow would you suddenly extend the product into many directions quickly. The Sketch API uses a reference library for automation and the code for the plugins is written in JavaScript, an incredibly ubiquitous language.

I realize that, at the moment, the Sketch tool is an OSX-only tool. but if you unpacked the purpose of the 14 different API objects (that's not too many, right?) and wrote the same end-points but that automated AD and AP, that should mean you would then have adapted the majority of Sketch plugin code to now automate Affinity tools (I realize this is an oversimplification... you would still need to write a plugin container for plugin UIs as well as an error handler robust enough to handle scenarios where Sketch plugin authors have made calls past the API and directly to baser functions in the Sketch app itself.)

But what a cool project that would be right?

1 minute ago, enginpost said:

But what a cool project that would be right?

I initially thought of that. But to be honest I don't use most of the Sketch plugins I have. 

I think I have like 5-6 that I use on a constant basis, including Craft and Zeplin.

If they could get those working would be fine and much easier/quicker to do.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 11:48 AM, 00Ghz said:

If they could get those working would be fine and much easier/quicker to do.

I don't know if it would actually be quicker. I write Web Applications as my day-job and I could imagine that reverse engineering 5-6 plugins to create 5-6 new functions might take as long to recreate the interface that can implement and automate 5-6 plugins and a whole lot more. Now imagine 20-30 people wanting their favorite 5-6 plugins. It might truly make everything a lot quicker to just write the automation and implementation interface and give a lot of people the functionality they have been dreaming of. I would much rather contribute to a forum where there are plugins being made better than simply adding to a list of stuff i hoped Affinity would add to core one day.  That is how Photoshop blew up to now load slowly and feel like bloatware, in my opinion. 

• 2 months later...

Affinity Designer already has custom shapes, developing the algorithm for a custom superelljpse shape shouldn’t be to complex.

About the Sketch plugin compatibility, I don't think this can ever be the case.

The Affinity team would need to develop a full library featuring all scriptable Sketch functionalities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...