You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 8)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This Beta has been updated to fix a translation issue as of 2pm (BST), Thursday 24th August. Aside from the translations, the application remains the same so you only need to download it again if you had a problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Fix for incorrect grid behaviour with isometric grid in Metal view mode, also Triangular grid misbehaviour
  • Fix for incorrect document background area being drawn when zoomed in on an Artboard document in pixel view mode (fixed for Metal view only)
  • Fix for text frame resize via double-clicking handle causing crash
  • Fix for crash on EPS import
  • Fixed some PDF import issues
  • Added ability to rotate the selected nodes in the Node Tool - via the Transform panel
  • Fix for studio panels not correctly restoring their hidden/visible state between application sessions
  • Path text now allows baseline editing when text is multi-line
  • Further tweaked Expand Stroke results to not be so aggressive
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks

• Added ability to rotate the selected nodes in the Node Tool - via the Transform panel

If you select some nodes and rotate them around a corner/ side (just not around the middle) they "move" outwards 

somehow like the rotation center is recalculated all the time?

I'm not sure how this feature is expected to work but at least I did not expect it to work this way, just saying :ph34r:

• Staff
11 minutes ago, MBd said:

If you select some nodes and rotate them around a corner/ side (just not around the middle) they "move" outwards 

somehow like the rotation center is recalculated all the time?

I'm not sure how this feature is expected to work but at least I did not expect it to work this way, just saying :ph34r:

They are rotated around the chosen anchor point of their starting bounding box - at least they were supposed to be anyway!?!

Good start to this Matt.

Seems a little funky at this early point. How about adding the ability to drag an origin point for the point of rotation and maybe adding the ability to scale as well?

Hmmm, I'm not getting my studio panels setup from my previous beta. The tools panel is just a small panel with the word tools on it and nothing else... resetting the the studio does nothing... opening preferences gets me a preference panel with nothing on it... anyone else having this behaviour?

• Staff
21 minutes ago, MBd said:

since I now have some more upload volume I'll use that :11_blush:

move.mov

cheers 

This is a similar bug to one that's already logged when rotating two or more objects through the transform panel using the panel's anchor points. I believe they have the some cause. To replicate draw two objects, select both, set the anchor point to top left or something else other than center and drag the mouse over the R label in the transform panel.

They will end up out of the canvas. Curiously if you use the Rotation slider first to rotate them a little then drag the mouse over the R label, it all works as expected.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

This is a similar bug to one that's already logged when rotating two or more objects through the transform panel using the panel's anchor points. I believe they have the some cause. To replicate draw two objects, select both, set the anchor point to top left or something else other than center and drag the mouse over the R label in the transform panel.

They will end up out of the canvas. Curiously if you use the Rotation slider first to rotate them a little then drag the mouse over the R label, it all works as expected.

Ok

interesting 

• Staff

I see! It's because you're dragging the label to adjust the value - that makes more sense now :)  It looks like dragging the label performs lots of separate commands - take a look at the History panel! After each command, the bounding box is updated, so you're now rotating about the new top-left (for example) for each step, so it appears to move off the canvas. This is not the case if you just drag the control's slider itself. I'm sure we can sort this out :)

• Staff
2 hours ago, retrograde said:

Hmmm, I'm not getting my studio panels setup from my previous beta. The tools panel is just a small panel with the word tools on it and nothing else... resetting the the studio does nothing... opening preferences gets me a preference panel with nothing on it... anyone else having this behaviour?

Are you running US English? (for example) I've probably just destroyed the translations... :/

As a temporary workaround, set it to UK English and I'll sort it out first thing in the morning... Sorry :/ 

• Staff
2 hours ago, retrograde said:

Good start to this Matt.

Seems a little funky at this early point. How about adding the ability to drag an origin point for the point of rotation and maybe adding the ability to scale as well?

All of this functionality will be properly handled by tool changes in the future, this was just about physically enabling the ability for when you're in a bind and you need to achieve it... To change the tool at this stage is just asking for serious issues, but I will sort it out properly ASAP... :) 

(Incidentally, you should be able to scale by affecting W and H in the Transform panel too?)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

All of this functionality will be properly handled by tool changes in the future, this was just about physically enabling the ability for when you're in a bind and you need to achieve it... To change the tool at this stage is just asking for serious issues, but I will sort it out properly ASAP... :) 

(Incidentally, you should be able to scale by affecting W and H in the Transform panel too?)

Cheers Matt, thanks for the quick reply and I'll try that UK english fix and the W and H transform panel as well. :-)

Crazy, seems like you fix or change one thing and something else goes out of whack... ;)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The W and H do work also.  This is slick.  Where I will find the most use is compound shapes like when something that was subtracted from another.  Just the area subtracted, or just the outside shape can now be rotated, stretched and shrunk.  Which is fantastic!  Just like the dynamic boolean operations, without it being dynamic. ^_^  Thanks again guys.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff
11 hours ago, retrograde said:

Cheers Matt, thanks for the quick reply and I'll try that UK english fix and the W and H transform panel as well. :-)

Crazy, seems like you fix or change one thing and something else goes out of whack... ;)

Well, I think in this case it's just that the label drag code isn't working in the same way as actually dragging the slider - and hence giving rather crazy results. It didn't matter for x/y/w/h but it makes a difference for rotation, so you see the insanity start to unfurl! ;) 

On 23. August 2017 at 8:42 PM, MattP said:

As a temporary workaround, set it to UK English and I'll sort it out first thing in the morning... Sorry :/ 

Sorry for asking, but is this possible with that unusable empty preference panel or is there a different trick next to reinstalling the old beta (or deleting files)? 

• Staff

@bagmetv Thanks for the screencast! Hmm... I'm not getting this - can I ask a couple of questions? Does this happen all the time? What if you restart the application and try again? What Mac are you using? Is it reproducible in another document? Thanks!

4 hours ago, MattP said:

@bagmetv Thanks for the screencast! Hmm... I'm not getting this - can I ask a couple of questions? Does this happen all the time? What if you restart the application and try again? What Mac are you using? Is it reproducible in another document? Thanks!

Thanks for reply, Matt.

My machine is iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 

I have restarted application:

1. I still see such flickering in this current file I mentioned previously (It was created in beta 7 but saved last time in beta 8) + another visual issue like white 'shapes' (not sure how to call that exactly) while resizing artboards.

Just have opened some another file which was saved in beta 7 too. Same flickering and white 'shapes'.

2. Created new file (in beta 8) without app restart. No flickering but I see the same white 'shapes' while resizing artboards.

Please take a look at screencast and this new file: https://we.tl/pnH1W4R0hb

Cheers

Vitaliy

1 hour ago, bagmetv said:

Thanks for reply, Matt.

My machine is iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 

1. I still see such flickering in this current file I mentioned previously (It was created in beta 7 but saved last time in beta 8) + another visual issue like white 'shapes' (not sure how to call that exactly) while resizing artboards.

Just have opened some another file which was saved in beta 7 too. Same flickering and white 'shapes'.

2. Created new file (in beta 8) without app restart. No flickering but I see the same white 'shapes' while resizing artboards.

Cheers

Vitaliy

I have an iMac 2015 i7 5K 32GB 1867 RAM, Radeon R9 4GB and a MacBook Pro 2016 i7 Radeon Pro 460 4GB GPU and I don't have these issues.  As Matt knows, I try to break things here :) What I was getting yesterday though was some weird shadow/garbage/pixellation whenever I moved text frames (containing lot of text) around.  That's gone now and I don't know why but glad it is.

Since Matt can't reproduce and I can't on my end (I have a document with a LOT of embedded docs and a 50 artboards) perhaps reinstall both MAS and beta versions entirely, reinstall and reboot.   If that doesn't work then there is something specific in your doc - I have some quirky issues like that with specific docs, not overall, I just reserve or copy info over and all is well. 

• Staff
13 hours ago, bagmetv said:

Thanks for reply, Matt.

Cheers

Vitaliy

Thank you for this! I'm looking into it now... :)

Incidentally, I did find and fix the issue with 'white shapes' when moving dartboards around, so that one will already be fixed for the next beta...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.