CaptNeo

Parts of UI Ignore Pen and Touch Input on Surface 4 Pro

Hi,

new here and just checking out the trial of Affinity Photo 1.5.2.69 (Test). On my Surface 4 Pro with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, several key parts of the UI won't respond to touch and pen input:

• Selecting menu items is finicky, but works eventually most of the time
  • Selecting variants of tools from their drop downs (left toolbar) won't work. The menu opens, but none of the displayed options can be choosen (e.g. 'Ellipse' from the 'Rectangle' tool drop down)
  • Editing brushes via "More" is impossible. The entire dialog is unresponsive and won't even close

I have not checked out the entire application yet, maybe this list in incomplete.

On my Win 7 Pro 64-Bit Workstation with a Wacom CTH-661 everything runs just fine as far as I've seen.

Is that a known issue or a bug specific to the trial version?

Regards,
Chris

Hey CaptNeo, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

We're seeing a few users report unresponsive UI on a Surface. I've been using a Surface Studio with a Dial this morning and a colleague has been using the Surface Pro 4 and everything seems to be in order. We've only ever been able to reproduce an unresponsive UI by adding lots of history entries and dragging the history slider back and forth aggressively.

Can you please answer the following:

1. What mode do you have the Surface Pro in? (Tablet or desktop mode)
  2. Do you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into it?
  3. Is Windows Ink turned on?
  4. Most users who report this state it takes about 15 mins for the UI to stop responding. Is it immediate for you or does it stop responding after a while of use?
  5. Would it be possible to see a screenshot of all your running apps? We've had software conflicts in the past so this could potentially be the cause.

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

1. Desktop mode, but without any periphials except the pen.
  2. Nope. I had to attach and detach the TypeCover though, because the track pad was the only way to select some tools.
  3. Probably yes, because I'm seeing the Windows Ink Workspace icon in the system tray. Wasn't actively using any features at the time though.
  4. I encountered the first unresponsive UI elements after I had successfully developed a RAW. So yes, that is in line with what you've seen with other users. Just rebooted the surface and now the previously unresponsive parts of the UI work like a charm using the pen and even touch (though it's really, really hard to hit some small elements).
  5. At that time, Firefox, Outlook 2016, the OneNote Snippet Tool, and CyberGhost VPN were running. The complete list of processes is a wee bit longer, of course. Need to log in there and post the list.

Hey CaptNeo,

Thanks for all the info. I'll get around to checking out the lesser known apps displayed in your screenshot. Hopefully we can cross-ref them against another user at some point. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey CaptNeo, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

We're seeing a few users report unresponsive UI on a Surface. I've been using a Surface Studio with a Dial this morning and a colleague has been using the Surface Pro 4 and everything seems to be in order. We've only ever been able to reproduce an unresponsive UI by adding lots of history entries and dragging the history slider back and forth aggressively.

Can you please answer the following:

1. What mode do you have the Surface Pro in? (Tablet or desktop mode)
  2. Do you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into it?
  3. Is Windows Ink turned on?
  4. Most users who report this state it takes about 15 mins for the UI to stop responding. Is it immediate for you or does it stop responding after a while of use?
  5. Would it be possible to see a screenshot of all your running apps? We've had software conflicts in the past so this could potentially be the cause.

Thanks!

I'm having the same issue as well, in general the application starts OK but overtime the responsiveness drops to unacceptable levels. As for your questions:

1. Tablet

2. No keyboard (detached type cover), one mouse (Arc Mouse Surface Edition)

3. Yes

4. After a while as mentioned

5. Was only running Affinity Photo, I think this also happens in Designer although I haven't tested as extensively

6. My Surface Pro is fully up to date

Thanks!

EDIT for extra suggestions/bugs related:

1. It would be nice to have the iPad UI on Windows when working on Tablet mode

2. Multi touch responsiveness in general isn't great

3. Improved multi touch support, like zooming and moving at the same time

4. For the love of everything, please disable touch input, AKA pen mode!!! Touch should be only used for UI/menu interaction, and zooming/moving. Otherwise I have to keep undoing accidental brush strokes that happen when I touch the screen by mistake or a multi touch gesture isn't recognized. :(

1. What mode do you have the Surface Pro in? (Tablet or desktop mode) desktop mode
  2. Do you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into it? I tend to use a bluetooth mouse/trackpad along with the pen
  3. Is Windows Ink turned on? It's switched off
  4. Most users who report this state it takes about 15 mins for the UI to stop responding. Is it immediate for you or does it stop responding after a while of use? Usually happens after a while, 15mins seems about right
  5. Would it be possible to see a screenshot of all your running apps? We've had software conflicts in the past so this could potentially be the cause. To be honest, i haven't been able to reproduce the issue during the last two days (trying it intentionally to find out when it happens). I ran only the beta then, so there might be something going on with other apps. I use various different 3D programs (Rhino3D/Autocad/Bricscad) along with other graphics software (CC Suite, Sketchbook pro..). Ill try to watch it in which combination it fails...

I can confirm this also happens in Affinity Designer, after a while parts of the UI stop being responsive to pen and touch. Mostly (only?) popup parts, such as submenus, colour popups, dialog boxes, etc. They work fine with the mouse though. o.O

Regarding the 5 questions:

1. I was in Desktop mode this time, just to test

2. I has the Type Cover attached this time, again to test

3. It's on as always

4. Yes, it starts to happen after 15 to 20 minutes

5. Nothing running at the same time

Thanks for all the info, everyone. The majority of you in this thread (and others) all seem to report it stops after 15 minutes or so, which I think is significant. Maybe. We'll keep poking this. 

I don't know if this is still happening with the Affinity Designer 16.0 update, but this exact thing happens to me on my Dell XPS 13 2-in-1. After about 15 minutes, half the UI stops working, every time. I end up having to restart frequently, or use Adobe for projects that require longer concentration times.

I am using Designer 1.6.0.87(beta) and 1.6.089(release) on a surface Pro 3 on windows 10. Desktop mode.

1.6.0.87 was performing amazing with the pen ; better than ever before; almost no lag when drawing.

I installed 1.6.0.89 and i was back to a super laggy pen interaction with incredible lags.

I toggled the High resolution tablet mode button on and off  in the preferences with varying results; i managed to get some performance back in a random toggling of the function, but lost again the nice perfromance i mostly obtain witn 1.6.0.87 with high resolution tablet mode off....

Some thing changed between version that get in the way for getting a nice pen performance....

I know my surface can work good, it's possible; i experienced it with 1.6.0.87 , but than broke again...

Otherwise before 1.6 , Designer was so laggy on my surface pro 3 it was unusable.

Surface Pro 3 i7

Hi, the High Precision mode only makes a difference to Wacom devices. The Surface Pen is always high precision.

Any differences you've spotted between 87 and 89 are probably attributed to other processes running on your machine at the time, e. g. Windows update, as nothing has changed in that area.

Hi Mark, has the dev team made any progress on the issue, yet?

I've doodled a bit on my surface, and the UI is still responsive after 20 min. Was this addressed? I can't seem to find full release notes.

54 minutes ago, CaptNeo said:

Hi Mark, has the dev team made any progress on the issue, yet?

I've doodled a bit on my surface, and the UI is still responsive after 20 min. Was this addressed? I can't seem to find full release notes.

No, unfortunately not. We have several Surface Pro 4 devices here, and so far we've been unable to reproduce the bug. When it becomes unresponsive, can you switch to other applications and continue using the pen?

I've tried that before, and nope, same problem. I've tried turning off all other programs and as many background processes as possible. I've even tried it on several fresh installs of Windows 10 (I had to reinstall Windows twice, and then I got a new laptop of the same model). I kept thinking it was some particular action I did or button I pushed that triggered it, but it's always 15-20 minutes - and to see other people with the same issue and the same timing, I guess not? I've also only noticed it in Affinity, not in PS or InDesign or other programs.

18 minutes ago, sarahgould said:

I've tried that before, and nope, same problem. I've tried turning off all other programs and as many background processes as possible. 

Tried what? When you switch to another application, does the application work OK, when Affinity is broken?

I think I was able to switch to another app, and the pen kept working in that app but not in AD. I'm going to try it again this evening, though. Anything else I can do to help you repro it?

Just now, sarahgould said:

I think I was able to switch to another app, and the pen kept working in that app but not in AD. I'm going to try it again this evening, though. Anything else I can do to help you repro it?

Does it work in the document (i.e. can you still use the brush tools)?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, unfortunately not. We have several Surface Pro 4 devices here, and so far we've been unable to reproduce the bug. When it becomes unresponsive, can you switch to other applications and continue using the pen?

Yes, sure.

Like sarahgould, I just need to restart the Affinity app to get going again. Windows and other apps work just fine.