You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding a washed out look (t-shirt and logo specific)

I keep wanting to say textures- as I've learned that may not be the correct term as that's generally referring to the bitmap fill tool/option/thingy. 

I'm working on some logos and tshirt ideas for fun. It's the only stuff I enjoy just randomly creating in my spare time so it helps me sharpen my Affinity Designer tools. 

Anywho, on simple logos and shirt designs, a neat way of making it look ten times better is giving it a simple washed out texture. I see this all the time on white printed tshirts. 

How would I go about accomplishing this in Affinity Designer? I have no clue how to do this. In my head it's like overlaying a bitmap texture to the whole scene, but then somehow making that texture a transparent tool of some sort- forgive me if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because I'm still learning the odds and ends of this program, it's hard to explain what I mean in the correct terminology. 

Also, less important but still on the same topic: how would I make my image grayscale within the program, and how do I make that grayscale a "colored" grayscale? 

I wish there was a tshirt tutorial ;) 

Thanks everyone! Love the growing community here

-Carter

Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure there's got to be some easy quick way to do this, and for someone like me looking to do some logo work for friends, it would be a fantastic way to spice up the look of their logos and add another layer of professional finish to their pieces. Still dying to know how to do this :)

-Carter

• Staff

Can you show me a very simple example of what look you're trying to achieve - a picture speaks a thousand words, and all that! ;) 

I'm certain there are lots of ways to achieve what you're looking for, but without seeing a concrete example it's a bit tricky to guess exactly what you're after :)

Thanks,

Matt

Of course. I should have started off with pics. My bad. 

I'm doing simple and clean logos because I haven't yet mastered all arts of logometry :) so adding a "simple" washed out look would be an easy way to add some professional depth to my work. Hopefully the pics kinda give you an idea of what I mean. I know I could just paint it on, but I'm wanting it to be something that I use to edit the transparency on, like overlaid on an image and i can detract the underlying image down to almost see thru or all the way... Just know I haven't slept in the last 24 hours, so please forgive any incoherent rambling :P 

Thanks!

-Carter

post-4386-0-50209300-1423512181_thumb.jpg

post-4386-0-09420500-1423512189_thumb.jpg

post-4386-0-58025100-1423512192_thumb.jpg

@Quarter, nice type!

I would look into using Affinity's powerful Brushes to paint inside your type/graphics or erase away your type/graphics via masks.

Check out this Tutorial if you haven't seen it:

and this one as well:

and of course search for Paolo Limoncello here on the forums and read his Brushes tutorials and download his amazing additional brushes as well. He's the Digital Brush Yoda™ of this galaxy. No shit.

Cheers!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone has figured a way to do this.  I was told to use the rasterize to mask feature with my bitmap textures, but it rasterizes the whole image and will not output to spot colors by exporting to eps or pdf.  I use 1-bit tiffs in both Freehand and Illustrator to create exactly what you are showing.  This is something my company uses in every design we create and have been doing it for almost 20 years.  I have been trying to do exactly this in AD for quite some time now.  Any help with accomplishing this would change my world. 

• 2 months later...