You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Earthrise at Sea

maspick

Nice and "moody". Threatening, even.

Now I'm wondering what that liquid is.

Assuming that:
* we're looking at a planet(oid)-sized body and not just a part of something small that's really close to the camera, and;
* there's little-to-no atmosphere (or none that's readily visible), and;
* it's about the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is, and;
* the body has some rotation (like most things in the Universe):

... then temperatures on its surface should go from between 100degC & 250degC (depending on where you get your figures from) on one side and down to between -250degC and -100degC on the other side. I don't know what liquid could exist between those temperatures and not boil/sublime off into space in a (partial) vacuum. I did a little bit of a search but the physics and mathematics are way over my head. Or maybe I've just got the whole thing wrong in the first place.

Maybe there's a physics bod on the forum that can give an answer. It's not particularly relevant to the image but it might be interesting to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Garry!  That is the most sophisticated critique I have ever received for one of my Space Art images!  It would be safe to assume that most of my creations don't necessarily work with the actual physics of planetary bodies in space - I've not had the privilege of exploring such things real time.  My hope is they are pleasing to the eye and temporarily transport the viewer to another place. d;¬{D

maspick, I just followed my thoughts where they went. Sometimes they go too far! I do like the image though.

I had the idea that some kind of mining craft coming - just over the horizon - between the planet and Earth might look good but then I decided that I prefer it as it is.

Its sometimes better left to the viewer to think about what's happening. (Unless they take those thoughts a bit too far as I did.)

13 hours ago, GarryP said:

maspick, I just followed my thoughts where they went. Sometimes they go too far! I do like the image though.

I had the idea that some kind of mining craft coming - just over the horizon - between the planet and Earth might look good but then I decided that I prefer it as it is.

Its sometimes better left to the viewer to think about what's happening. (Unless they take those thoughts a bit too far as I did.)

Your thoughts are no more or less appropriate than anyone else's.  Thanks for sharing. d;¬{D