You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts for next/previous brush and brush hardness

Hi there,

maybe I'm just blind, but I'm missing shortcut to jump to the next or previous brush in the brushes studio (suggestion: , and .). I'm also missing simple keyboard shortcuts for decreasing and increasing the brush hardness like the shortcuts [ and ] for the brush size. My suggestion would be Shift+[ and Shift+]. 

Greetz, Tekl

Indeed. Raises the general question of where else 'next/prev' shortcuts would be useful and what PS to copy or configs to allow.

...and whether a standard next/prev could be applied to the most recently used thing in an intuitive way.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

3 hours ago, Tekl said:

Hi there,

maybe I'm just blind, but I'm missing shortcut to jump to the next or previous brush in the brushes studio (suggestion: , and .). I'm also missing simple keyboard shortcuts for decreasing and increasing the brush hardness like the shortcuts [ and ] for the brush size. My suggestion would be Shift+[ and Shift+]. 

Greetz, Tekl

If you have Windows, hold down Alt and both mouse buttons and drag. Mac is Ctrl + Alt and drag

As you drag right and left the brush size increases / decreases

As you drag up or down the hardness increases / decreases 

You can press a keyboard number like 33 to set 33% opacity, etc.

I can't vouch for a Mac, but on a PC, when you start to drag you can release Alt and the right mouse button. The size / hardness will continue to change until you release the left button

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

30 minutes ago, Tekl said:

@toltec I know about those interactive shortcuts, but I can only use one hand at the moment ;-). My requested shortcuts would also be great for the shortcut buttons on a graphic tablet.. 

Then again, I find that my tablet relegates the keyboard to the other side of the desk. So the keyboard option is not for me but I certainly second your vote for Shift + [ ]

Indeed, it would be nice if they could be assigned to tablet shortcut buttons.

I must say, that as size has the brackets and opacity has numbers, it is a bit odd that there is no hardness control. Unless, like many Affinity features, it is well hidden and totally undocumented.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

19 hours ago, toltec said:

Then again, I find that my tablet relegates the keyboard to the other side of the desk. So the keyboard option is not for me but I certainly second your vote for Shift + [ ]

Indeed, it would be nice if they could be assigned to tablet shortcut buttons.

Maybe a good argument there for gestures.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 1 year later...

Hello, this topic might be a bit old (more than 1 year ago) but still, today those questions are really interesting and really helpfull to develop a good workflow and challenge PS for digital painting 

On 8/21/2017 at 8:16 PM, Tekl said:

Hi there,

maybe I'm just blind, but I'm missing shortcut to jump to the next or previous brush in the brushes studio (suggestion: , and .) [...]

and

On 8/21/2017 at 11:04 PM, dmstraker said:

Indeed. Raises the general question of where else 'next/prev' shortcuts would be useful and what PS to copy or configs to allow.

...and whether a standard next/prev could be applied to the most recently used thing in an intuitive way.

It woulb be great and if it has been done feel free to tell me where i can find those features please. Plus the possibility to recreate custom brushes libraries composed with different brushes picked up from differents brushes folders already imported in Affinity Photo. I really want to do the transition, this software is beautiful but painting without being able to use those shortcuts and interrupting yourself clicking, scrolling, searching into the brushes menu between 2 strokes preventing you to go fullscreen just ruin the workflow and is the last thing makes me still use and prefer Photoshop to paint.

Indeed, keep going you're doing great. Hope this problem/feature will be solved.

Regards, M.

It's incredible  how different workflows we painters have... Since long, I no longer like textured brushes, I build all my painting with good flow/opacity settings and mastering how to use a basic round brush with sensitivity in the 3 values ( I "build" the texture on canvas)...What I have found is, depending on the task, I need to vary the values by an external shortcut , things like mostly brush size, more frequently. In some cases, pressure needs that, but way more rarely, even across several apps. So, I firstly used to set up 1, 2, 3 (or ctrl +1, etc, as in ps, the number alone is opacity..u can almost always change everything, tho, in preferences)...keys, for my brushes in several apps... then moved (I tend to set same shortcuts across most apps, using X-mouse button control when not possible)  to use c and v (comfortable for me) to decrease and increase brush size, as that's all the swap I need, in most cases (brush size).... Then discovered that by changing the Intuos Pro disc sensitivity ( at main Windows Control Panel ("Settings"),  Wacom driver control panel there) to the "least subtle", to a minimum there,  is a bit hidden, but it's there.  Now it totally rocks in every freaking application to increase/decrease brush size (I keep always mouse pretty besides my drawing hand, which swaps from mouse to pen non-consciously after all these years, is automatic..... I use the mouse a lot, so I zoom always with wheel, and to cursor point). Almost as useful as ctrl+z or ctrl + shift + z for going  back in undo history in one of the pen's side buttons, and alt to pick color (and whatever else command needing alt) in the other pen's side button. Every 2D/painting tool I've used supports this... And I've used a lot of painting software apps in work and home....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@SrPx Hello, thanks for your quick and pertinent response. I totally agree with you and the way you're doing but still. To me, switching between different brushes (textured or not) fast and especially without having to go into menus / lists seems essential to develop a good workflow and the best software possible. To create custom lists would also be great but I'm starting to repeat myself. Those features missing, I really hope some Affinity's staff will read this topic we diged up to fulfill my attemp that i'm sure I'm not the only one looking for it.

Again, thanks a lot, 
Regards, M.

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, toltec said:

If you have Windows, hold down Alt and both mouse buttons and drag. Mac is Ctrl + Alt and drag

As you drag right and left the brush size increases / decreases

As you drag up or down the hardness increases / decreases 

You can press a keyboard number like 33 to set 33% opacity, etc.

I can't vouch for a Mac, but on a PC, when you start to drag you can release Alt and the right mouse button. The size / hardness will continue to change until you release the left button

Yeah thats the theory but the hardness doesn't change I get two blue circles but the hardness doesn't change. Are there any preferences that would prevent this from happening? oh I'm using mac

• 2 years later...

If you refer to brush size and border hardness, here you have what works in Windows:

Set brush size: Press CTRL+ALT (and drag mouse/pen)

Set brush border hardness: SHIFT+CTRL+ALT (and drag mouse/pen)

Regarding shortcut to favorite brushes or previous/next brush navigation, I don't know, sorry.