Pond

DNG raw files import as black

I just purchased Affinity on new high capacity iPad (long time Mac user) specifically for DNG files from a Sigma camera. These import into the Photos app off SD card fine and also import and are fully editable normally inside Lightroom, which is free but limited.

i was really disappointed to step through Affinity’s import process with everything looking fine until the actual Develop stage, where all you get is a black image and histogram to match. It just doesn’t work at all. Not quite at the level of laptop replacement on iPads just yet...? ;)

I have attached screenshots of the import and Develop process along with a sample Raw file. They’re huge - some 100MB or so each.

4891DD9E-77A9-4398-8A67-5BFD897626B9.png

9F180E7A-CBA1-40F0-9007-81FC288B9F3F.png

C76D1EF6-85AC-4EC1-8087-5E117A30DA7E.dng

Hi Pond

On the iPad we currently use Apple's RAW engine so we rely on their compatibility list of which the Sigma is not currently on. This will require Apple to add it to their list. Up until it is opened in the develop persona you are veiwing the preview jpg which is why it appears fine. The Photos app itself only shows jpgs, not the raw files and LR uses it's own raw engine

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

Hi Pond

On the iPad we currently use Apple's RAW engine so we rely on their compatibility list of which the Sigma is not currently on. This will require Apple to add it to their list. Up until it is opened in the develop persona you are veiwing the preview jpg which is why it appears fine. The Photos app itself only shows jpgs, not the raw files and LR uses it's own raw engine

That’s unfortunate. In that case I’m going to need a refund please, as the software is useless for all images I purchased it for. Apple haven’t supported the Sigma Foveon cameras since they were released in 2002, two years before DNG was even invented. I doubt that fifteen years later they have any plans to work on them. I’m disappointed as DNG is supposed to be a standardised format, not one where I have to scrutinise lists for vendor specific support. It’s likely that the bugs are Apple’s, and telling that Adobe - originators of the format - have it working fine in Lightroom. None of which is my fault, nor helps me as a customer.

Affinity is just about the most expensive app I have on iOS but sadly I won’t have any use for it. I’m no artist, and bought this purely for the digital negative workflow.

Hi Pond

Sorry the app does need meet your specific needs. DNG is an attempt at standardising the RAW however it is still quite dependent on the data from the individual sensors in the cameras which is one of the reasons there are some many other RAW formats

If you wish to pursue the path of a refund then you will need to contact the app store directly as they handle the actual purchasing transactions rather then ourselves so they should be able to help you

Again apologies that our app does not fit your needs and we appreciate the time you have taken to check it out. Hopefully this will be something we can address in the future

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I do appreciate this isn’t your fault and am grateful for the prompt and concise technical support. If I can’t find another use for the app I will contact Apple as suggested. I do use it on OS X and am on the mailing lists, so if I do end up with an iOS refund, I’ll keep following new releases in case there is a change that means I might re-purchase.

Hi,

I am getting the same all black screen with no image visible when attempting to import raw images from my camera roll. I checked the compatibility list posted above and my Nikon d5500 is listed. Hoping for some kind of direction on loading my NEF files. Thanks