You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've got a document opened in Affinity Designer together with an artboard. I want to delete the artboard leaving the document work still available. I've tried selecting the artboard and then deleting it as a layer but it doesn't go. Instead my document work changes to a horizontal dotted red line. I also cannot print the document; I get a blank sheet. What am I doing wrong? I am a bit new to Affinity Designer so I apologise if I am being daft. I'm running version 1.5.5. Thanks for any help.

I don't understand what you mean by "it doesn't go" or by "my document work changes to a horizontal dotted red line." Where does this line appear?

There is a bug, or at least an inconsistency, in AD 1.5.5 in that if you select an artboard in the Layers panel & choose "Delete" from the popup contextual menu (the one you get by right-clicking on the artboard layer), the artboard & all its contents are immediately deleted, while if you select the artboard & tap the delete key on the keyboard, you get this dialog box:

5999fecc084b2_deleteobjects.png.062765db0ff498b34e957902b8949db8.png

So, either use the keyboard delete key & choose the "Keep objects" option, or drag the layers out of the artboard layer in the Layers panel  before deleting the then empty artboard layer, if you want to keep all of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I know what Wendover Man means about horizantal red line--in my document, those are the spelling prompts for some text I have on my main image.

When I go to delete the artboard to the side of my main image (which, itself, is not an artboard), everything disappears except those little squiggly red lines.

I opened up an artboard to create arrows with text, that I then used to label my main image.  I grouped all that together, but still can't seem to ditch that artboard.

Any tips?  I'm using the latest version of Designer.

• 3 years later...
16 hours ago, Lutz Pietschker said:

When I delete the artboard, everything goes black except the artboard which appears a a white rectangle. But the objects are still shown in the layers panel.

What is "everything"? – A black background in the main/layout window might indicate an according setting in your app preferences > interface > background.

Does the Layers Panel still contain the Artboard layer you just deleted, or are there its previously nested layers only? Maybe you can show two screenshots (before/after)?

The remaining white rectangle indicates the drawing area (page/canvas) of a document without artboards.

16 hours ago, Lutz Pietschker said:

I consider this a serious bug.

What in particular?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1