You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HEIF from iCloud Drive

21 hours ago, TheLivingKing2 said:

I hate that Apple switched to HEVC image equivalent for iOS. Not all apps can open the new image formats. And if sending a HEIC to someone not on iPhone they can not open it. Same on the desktop.

This won’t happen. HEIF is primarily used internally in Apple Apps.In „foreign relationships“ with other apps you won’t notice anything.

3 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

This won’t happen. HEIF is primarily used internally in Apple Apps.In „foreign relationships“ with other apps you won’t notice anything.

No, it‘s a new standard. It‘s developed to overcome the old jpeg format. New hard and software give new opportunities.

see:

https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

eagerly awaiting AD for iPad :-)I

I'm probably making a mistake jumping in to this, BUT...if you have MacOS High Sierra on your machine (now in beta), if someone sends you email with attached from an iOS device as HEIC files, you CAN open them, you CAN quicklook them, you CAN open them in "Photos" or "Preview" on the Mac. But that doesn't work with earlier versions of MacOS. Same deal with HEVC movie files...with the latest (beta) OS, you can work with them just fine.

My money is on it becoming an accepted standard, but it'll take some pushing on Apple's part. But I hope they push.

Of course this may become a standard. Would be really fine!

But the fear was, this 

On 20.8.2017 at 8:47 PM, TheLivingKing2 said:

I hate that Apple switched to HEVC image equivalent for iOS. Not all apps can open the new image formats. And if sending a HEIC to someone not on iPhone they can not open it. Same on the desktop.

And this is definitely completely unfounded. Of course you have the ability to export to every format you like. And if you haven’t imported an image as a HEIF image, it will will export in a format, other applications can read.

You are using the High Sierra beta, @jcburns. Could you tell us: What happens if you drag an image out of Apple’s „Photos“ to the desktop? What format does it have? I bet JPG.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:32 AM, mac_heibu said:

Of course this may become a standard. Would be really fine!

But the fear was, this 

And this is definitely completely unfounded. Of course you have the ability to export to every format you like. And if you haven’t imported an image as a HEIF image, it will will export in a format, other applications can read.

You are using the High Sierra beta, @jcburns. Could you tell us: What happens if you drag an image out of Apple’s „Photos“ to the desktop? What format does it have? I bet JPG.

It has the new image format. When I try sending a photo to someone not on iOS 11, they can not view it. 

• 3 months later...
On 2017/8/21 at 2:47 AM, TheLivingKing2 said:

I hate that Apple switched to HEVC image equivalent for iOS. Not all apps can open the new image formats. And if sending a HEIC to someone not on iPhone they can not open it. Same on the desktop.you need to convert HEIC to JPG ,

Take it easy ,The iPhone is closed, and that's one of the reasons why I hate it, maybe only the iPhone supports Heif moed ,It would be impossible to transmit directly since the Android and Widnows or pc don't support Heif moed , they are just support JPG, maybe you need to convert them

• 11 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 2:47 AM, TheLivingKing2 said:

I hate that Apple switched to HEVC image equivalent for iOS. Not all apps can open the new image formats. And if sending a HEIC to someone not on iPhone they can not open it. Same on the desktop.you need to convert HEIC to JPG ,

It is undeniable that the heic format can save space on the phone, however, it is not so popular now. So many times we have to convert it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.