TheOtherRoland

Shouldn't "locking" a text layer prevent editing?

I'm working with several layers in AD 1.55 and decided to lock the text layer to avoid disturbing it. But then I noticed that I can still edit that supposedly locked text layer by merely selecting the text tool in the menu and clicking on the text object. Hmmmmmmm.

My question: is there any way to actually "fully lock" a text or graphic layer to prevent it from being edited? Or is this a bug and/or feature — because one would assume that locking a layer means "locking out" editing functions. At least that is how it works in some of my other apps — including for recorded musical tracks in a DAW.

(I'm using AD 1.55 on an older Intel Mac w/Lion — still within specs.)

www.rolandk.ca — my "relentless adventures in self-expression" — give or take a few pending adventures...

Hi TheOtherRoland,

Make sure to deselect the "Edit All Layers" button to only affect the selected layer.

Layers.png

Thanks. I'll try that.

What I noticed, however, is that if I click on a locked group layer, then the editing does not occur. But in clicking on a locked child text layer, I can edit it. Point being, if a layer is locked, it should be locked. Period.

Gonna tinker some more.

www.rolandk.ca — my "relentless adventures in self-expression" — give or take a few pending adventures...

Hey TheOtherRoland,

The lock function is to 'lock selection' so you will be able to edit the layer, you just can't accidentally move something. I think we've decided to do it a bit differently to the norm. It has been raised a quite a few times before but that is the answer development generally provide. 

Hi TheOtherRoland,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The lock function is intended to prevent users from editing objects accidentally on canvas (no matter where it's located in the layers stack). Selecting an object directly from the Layers panel first still allows you to edit that object on canvas. This avoids the need to unlock/lock layers everytime you need to make an adjustment to an object.