You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to work with grid and pen tool to create objects.  I can't seem to get the snapping tool to only enable snapping to NODES of the grid.  While it highlights the node or parts of the grid, there are times when i can draw off the grid so the object is not exact.  How can I force the snapping tool to enable/allow drawing ONLY to nodes of the grid rather than elsewhere?

I don't think snapping can be made compulsory. The feature just facilitates positioning. For certain kinds of grids, such as the basic square, holding down the shift key will constrain the pen lines to horizontal, diagonal and vertical. That will double your chances of placing nodes only at the vertices.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Glossarium, there is a possible way to get something closer to what you are asking about.  In the Grid and Axis manager turn off the Automatic grid (automatic gives you center points also) and set up the grid you desire.  Then in the Snapping preferences turn off all snapping except Snap to Grid.  Set the screen tolerance (upper right corner of snapping preferences) to some high number.  For a 1" grid anything higher than 80 seems to work.  Don't forget to set it back again when you are done as normal snapping will act weird.  I hope this helps.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra