You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CPU usage spikes (1.6.0.80)

Copy n paste from the latest beta thread:

I'm getting frequent CPU usage spikes (over 90%) with this beta version, especially when I zoom in.

I asked myself if it wasn't due to the current project contents with a couple of photos as references next to the artboard, but I had worked on more complex illustrations in previous beta versions without any issues.

My specs:
i5-6600k 3.50GHz

GTX 1060 3GB

16GB RAM
Windows 10

Apparently others have been experiencing the same thing.

(posted on the latest beta thread)

Hello, I'm getting the same. Just a little project with a few shapes and some pixel layers.

When I zoom in or press space the app hungs during few seconds.

It does not happen if I open the file with 1.5 version.

Windows 7, 11 GB RAM, quad core, radeon gt 730.

Regards.

I just started AD, then created a new A4 project, I added a pixel layer and painted a bit with one of the standard brushes. Zoomed in/out a bit and I got the CPU spikes easily, several seconds every spike.

I don't get spikes on AD 1.5, and don't remember getting spikes with older betas.

Regards.

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you experience any problems? High CPU usage isn't always a symptom of a problem, often it can mean that we're running at 90% efficiency on your machine.

The program becomes irresponsive for a while. It shows the "not responding" tag on the windows border. Then returns to normal and the CPU usage drops until the next time I zoom back in.

My project, like @jmoren 's, uses pixel layers. Several of them because I often go to Pixel Persona to sketch what I want before moving to vector.

Well, I reopened the culprit file and set to record myself for a bit while working on the project, but nothing happened. I was unable to replicate the issue.

Only explanation I can find is between this time and the previous time I worked on the file, I deleted one of the references images I had next to the artboard.

If I experience the issue again, I'll make sure to record it.

I managed to record one of the instances of the issue.

I have attached both the video and the AD file to this post. The CPU issue and freeze begins at 1:07 in the video.

And bellow are my system specs.

I hope this helps.

Operating System
	Windows 10 Education 64-bit
CPU
	Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz	
	Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
	MSI B150 PC MATE (MS-7971) (U3E1)	
Graphics
	ASUS ML228 (1920x1080@60Hz)
	3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI)	
Storage
	931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)	
Optical Drives
	No optical disk drives detected
Audio
	Realtek High Definition Audio

2017-08-23_11-46-16.flv

AnimeKaguya.afdesign

7 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks Munchkin, that's what I'm seeing here when I reduce the number of CPUs in my system.

Out of curiosity Mark what is the minimum spec Serif use to test AD and AP?

Regards

Thanks Mark I was aware of that page I'm not that lazy! :)

I don't see any windows CPU spec on those pages also that's not quite what I asked. That's a min requirements list for a client install I was asking about your testing environment. You may not want to say, if so no problem.

The only reason I ask is that I'm planning on specing up a new machine and starting with what you guys minimally use in testing would seem like good starting point. 

Regards

Ah right, sorry Harry. The minimum spec we test on is our minimum spec ;-). It's actually a 2008 MacBook Pro which we used as the minimum hardware for the macOS products too. It's dual core, with I think 4GB of RAM - but I can check the spec when I'm back in the office.

If you're looking at a new machine, I would load up on CPU and RAM as much as possible. GPU is less important.

10 hours ago, MunchkinWorks said:

Last time I worked with .80 I was still getting frequent hang-ups and freezes.

With .81 I was able to finish the project without any major issues. Here's the finished drawing.

I'll keep working with the beta to see if there are no more issues. Thank you for helping solve this problem!

That's excellent! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.