You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi MriKay

This isn't possible in Affinity Photo i'm afraid but in Designer if you select the Artistic Text tool and hover over the line (path) you want the text to follow you will notice the cursor changes to a wavy line. When you see this click and start typing. :)

Select your Text layer and adjust the Baseline setting in the Character Panel

baseline.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 month later...

Hi @MriKay, I can help! Just figured it out! I think I know exactly what you are looking for -- how to INVERT the text, to flip it to appear on the inside. I spent half an hour trying to figure this out! Gah! Then, I noticed this little button at the top of the Affinity Designer window ... and I thought, What the hell is that for? Hmm! I clicked it, with my circle and text selected, and VOILA! Exactly what I was looking for!

Try this: at the top of the Affinity Designer window, in the area of Text Tools, click on the "Reverse Text Path" tool. It's a little nearly-miss-it curvy line with node ends, between the Baseline selector area and the Character button.

Here are my screen shots showing before and after!

Cheers

k

59c70e2e7a7cc_ScreenShot2017-09-23at9_39_08PM.png.1af91b41260b9424c82d25bf41b945e0.png59c70e4888880_ScreenShot2017-09-23at9_39_24PM.png.f735d29b7a791a2f58414eb71a146cee.png

On 8/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, carl123 said:

Select your Text layer and adjust the Baseline setting in the Character Panel

What an excellent idea! You added a negative integer in the baseline to have text flow inside the shape rather than on top. While I knew negative integers could be added, I wouldn't have thought to use them in that type of work.

Try this: at the top of the Affinity Designer window, in the area of Text Tools, click on the "Reverse Text Path" tool. It's a little nearly-miss-it curvy line with node ends, between the Baseline selector area and the Character button.

That is a good solution as well, but it also flips the text. If you want it right side up, then you have to drag the green and red triangle so the text is on the bottom of the shape. (I could be mistaken.)

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, uncle808us said:

Confused?? Which tool?

Texttool.jpg 

Hi Uncle808us, I'm sorry to have missed your message earlier -- and yes, you are correct. That is the tool in question. When you hover your stylus pen or mouse over the button, after a second a window pops up that announces, "Reverse Text Path" to indicate title of the tool. Cheers :-)

1 hour ago, RuralKat said:

I dragged the red triangle to slide the text down to the bottom. This is useful for a CD design job, with legal type encircling the perimeter.

Yes, and it is helpful. The only downside is that the text would alway have to be readable from the bottom of the circle and never the top, but I guess it depends on the look the designer is going for.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

By far, the easiest way to attach text to the shape is the method @owenr mentioned in the third post of this topic, that being to position the mouse pointer on the side of the path where you want it to appear before you click.

It is a subtle thing, easy to miss because the zones are so small & close together, but once you get a feel for how it works you won't have to bother with dragging around red triangles or reversing text paths or the like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I tried this, but this doesn't place the text inside the shape for me.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

I tried this, but this doesn't place the text inside the shape for me.

If you mean the method @owenr mentioned, it does work for me. However, I have to be very careful where the crosshair pointer is when I click, or the results can be unpredictable.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeah, when I do that, it does insert inside, but it flows downward. Oh well. Carl's idea works fine for me.

If you press Enter in the first line of text, that should move it to the other side of the curve. This also happens if there is more text than will fit on one side of the curve.

If you need to shift the text up or down on the curve, there is a control in the toolbar especially for that. It's called Baseline, on the left in RuralKat's screenshot. It snaps to useful offsets, such as baseline and cap height.

• 2 years later...
On 9/23/2017 at 9:45 PM, RuralKat said:

Hi @MriKay, I can help! Just figured it out! I think I know exactly what you are looking for -- how to INVERT the text, to flip it to appear on the inside. I spent half an hour trying to figure this out! Gah! Then, I noticed this little button at the top of the Affinity Designer window ... and I thought, What the hell is that for? Hmm! I clicked it, with my circle and text selected, and VOILA! Exactly what I was looking for!

Try this: at the top of the Affinity Designer window, in the area of Text Tools, click on the "Reverse Text Path" tool. It's a little nearly-miss-it curvy line with node ends, between the Baseline selector area and the Character button.

Here are my screen shots showing before and after!

Cheers

k

59c70e2e7a7cc_ScreenShot2017-09-23at9_39_08PM.png.1af91b41260b9424c82d25bf41b945e0.png59c70e4888880_ScreenShot2017-09-23at9_39_24PM.png.f735d29b7a791a2f58414eb71a146cee.png

you are a gentleman and a scholar - thank you for that - if you're a ma'am... then just a scholar... lol - couldn't tell from the username alone no insult intended

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 11:02 AM, RuralKat said:

That is the tool in question. When you hover your stylus pen or mouse over the button, after a second a window pops up that announces, "Reverse Text Path" to indicate title of the tool. Cheers :-)

Brilliant. I spent much more time and couldn't nail it. There help information actually confuses the situation or at least I couldn't get it to work following step-by-step instructions. Thanks.