You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo, how to create rounded corners?

Hi, how to create rounded corners?
Doesn't the select tool have that functionality? :( not finding how...

tried to create a new rectangle with rounded corners in a new layer, then use the magic selection tool, to then keep the selection and apply on the image, but the magic selection tool also failed.
if someone is reading this in the future...well...there's no such thing... so try GIMP or use reactangle with rounded corners and Mask below

What software are you using?

In Affinity photo you can draw a shape, set rounded corners, change the radius, set different corner styles, rounded, angled, concave, even individually on each corner. Then make a selection or a mask.

You can apply a shadow, a fade, 3D edges too if you want.

corners.jpg.178f9575071b5e9e1ba6a42ad86fa178.jpg

That took less than 1 minute. I'm not sure if you can even do that in gimp.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

There is no "Magic Selection Tool" in either Affinity app, so I assume the OP means what in Affinity Photo is called the "Flood Select Tool," commonly known as the magic wand because long ago Adobe chose that silly, non-descriptive name for a similar Photoshop tool. It can be used to make a selection based on color tolerance to create a new selection, or to add to, subtract from, or intersect with an existing selection, but it cannot be used to turn a rectangle into a selection.

As toltec mentioned, a rectangle (or other shape) can be used to create a selection (Select menu > Selection from layer). For rectangle layers the Context menu offers many different options for rounded, cutout, concave, etc. corners, including as he demonstrates using different ones for different corners. If that isn't enough, "Convert to curves" makes the shape completely editable into anything one can imagine, which can then be used via the Select menu to make any arbitrary kind of selection shape.

Of course, masking is another, usually better alternative to making a selection, inverting it, & erasing the selected parts, again as toltec demonstrates with his examples.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thinking on this further, and reading the post again, maybe you wanted to make a selection from a rounded rectangle layer?

Draw a rectangle, Select > Selection From Layer

selectlayer.jpg.136b7a12205bef93fe4e1156290ec347.jpg

Here I used the white rectangle to select the rounded selection and moved them both a touch to demonstrate. The selection is there, as is the hole it was moved from and the original rounded rectangle that made it.

I've not heard of a Magic Selection tool. Maybe Magic Wand ? but that selects pixel by colour range, so would not work for turning a rectangle into a selection.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...

Because I couldn't figure out how to do this, here is what I resorted to doing:

How to manually create rounded corners in Affinity Photo

• On a new pixel layer, make your rectangular selection and then fill it

• Select the Eliptical Marquee Tool

• Set the cursor at the desired corner of the filled rectangular selection

• Drag up a circle to the size (hold down Shift to constrain the selection to a circle) until you get a representation of the corner as you would like it

• Select>Invert Pixel Selection (Ctrl+Shift+I)

• Use the Erase Brush Tool (E) to erase out the corners

Even though I don't know the answer, I tried to post a helpful response, because that is what I would want others to do who have answers.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, toltec said:

In Affinity photo you can draw a shape, set rounded corners, change the radius, set different corner styles, rounded, angled, concave, even individually on each corner. Then make a selection or a mask.

You can apply a shadow, a fade, 3D edges too if you want. 

I am trying to figure out how to do exactly what you describe. Would you mind explaining briefly how it is done since the solution isn't jumping out at me and most likely other's who are also new to the software?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 5 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 2:15 AM, toltec said:

Thinking on this further, and reading the post again, maybe you wanted to make a selection from a rounded rectangle layer?

Draw a rectangle, Select > Selection From Layer

selectlayer.jpg.136b7a12205bef93fe4e1156290ec347.jpg

Here I used the white rectangle to select the rounded selection and moved them both a touch to demonstrate. The selection is there, as is the hole it was moved from and the original rounded rectangle that made it.

I've not heard of a Magic Selection tool. Maybe Magic Wand ? but that selects pixel by colour range, so would not work for turning a rectangle into a selection.

Hi, if you are still there, or someone is, do you have a step by step on how to do this please?

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 hour ago, HarryMcGovern said:

if you are still there, or someone is, do you have a step by step on how to do this please?

1. Select the Rounded Rectangle Tool.
  2. Draw the shape of the size you want.
  3. Select > Selection from Layer (or, Select > Selection from Layer and Delete if you want to delete the rounded rectangle, too.)
  4. You now have the selection, and you can do what you want with it.

If that's not what you were looking for, then please describe further what you need to do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here's what (I assume) you are trying to do.

Open your photo (in my case, it's the "Dragon Photo"). Draw a Rounded Rectangle as a new layer – use the Shape tool to do this. The rounded rectangle should be a layer above the photo. Now, drag the photo onto the rounded rectangle layer until a blue rectangle appears just below the rectangle layer in the Layers panel. You have just "clipped" the photo to the rounded rectangle. The result is shown below.

As an aside, the "magic selection" tool is probably the "Selection Brush" and the reason it failed is more than likely that your initial rounded rectangle is a vector object, and the Selection Brush will only work on a Pixel object.

1517853891_RoundedCorners.thumb.jpeg.ca830513bf4acad806ebbce799c0ca2e.jpeg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...

update2020: guys, now this function is hidden in the =>"refine" button (only appears after shape tool is selected)=> then adjust the "smooth" bar to adjust the roundness of the corners

PS. you can change the "preview"=> to transparent, and uncheck the "matte edges" box to see better

• 3 months later...