You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've done some mono to colour in the past, but I've only recently begun to try it in AP. I scanned some old family photos a few years ago, and these two are of my grandfather and father (he's the younger one!) taken about 1949 or 1950, when Dad got his call-up. Granddad was a Special Police Constable, and they must have been showing off their uniforms. I'm pretty sure they were taken on Dad's camera. Anyway, to business -- I've reduced the images after recolouring, which cuts down the noise somewhat.

Image78BWSmall.jpg.d322f3f40c2b8a31addbb415d3fc3869.jpg Image78Small.jpg.aab05e6ae531bcc6c1c1a4d2bb5b2081.jpg

Image52BWSmall.jpg.72876492db28ad07b174f2c706896d0d.jpg 

Image52APsmall.jpg.705f01e1e069f23d782060b29e5a4996.jpg Image52SmallAuto.jpg.fd2747876bbd9f6b6b1e1342ded8b140.jpg

The left-hand photo didn't look natural enough, so I tried Filters>Colors>Auto... (all four) and got the result on the right, which looks a bit more natural. Didn't work on Granddad though!

I used a separate pixel layer for each colour, trying different combinations of blend mode and transparency till I was satisfied. Dad's eyes are a little stark, and there are some hard edges which need softening up ... but I'm still on the learning curve, and any constructive criticism will be welcome.

I spent a long time getting rid of noise and blemishes with the inpainting brush and a little bit of cloning. There were a lot of scanning artefacts too, so I shall have to re-scan them and have another go (I now have the original photos, though no negs).

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think his face still looks a bit grey.

It does, Garry. Getting skin colours right is a bit hot and miss, I find: you either get a lobster or The Simpsons! I'll go back to it after I've had time to experiment a bit.

I think it will come in useful -- thanks! I learned the ropes with Paint Shop Pro, and that has a good recolouring process, with colours in categories. I copied some of the hair & skin colours, but these charts look a bit more comprehensive. Let's see how I get on.